Panopto: Using the Panopto Web Capture (for Faculty)
*THIS FEATURE ONLY WORKS WITH GOOGLE CHROME*
If you are a student, please go to this page for Student Recording Tutorial
The Panopto web recorder has all the same functionality as the previous Panopto application but does not require you to download and install an application. The Panopto website and folder system has not changed. This handout will overview everything you need to know about using the recorder.
The GVSU Panopto portal is: https://gvsu.hosted.panopto.com/
1. To start creating content in Panopto go to gvsu.hosted.panopto.com. Click “Sign in” on the top right and in the pop-up also click sign in. At the Blackboard sign-in page enter your credentials and once you click “login” you will be redirected back to Panopto.
2. Once you are in Panopto navigate to your “My Folder” in the top left. Add a new folder for all courses, by clicking “Add folder” in the middle of the screen. Give the folder a title, you may want to use your course name.
3. Once you have created that folder click it.
4. To access the recorder, click on the ‘Create’ button and select ‘Panopto Capture.’
5. The Panopto web recorder screen will look like this.
The options at the top are for selecting audio, video, or screen sharing options respectively. Notice the record button below your camera display. You can see if the recorder is picking up your audio through watching the horizontal line that goes behind the record button bounce as it detects audio inputs.
6. Click on the screen capture button to enable it. It will bring up a window that looks like this. Select the window you want to record and hit ‘Share.’
7. Click record when you’re ready to start the 5 second countdown. Recording will start after 5 seconds.
8. Click on the Stop (record) button when you’re done. You’ll be redirected to the new uploading page, and the video will automatically start uploading your most recently visited folder. You can still rename your video from here, or select the folder that it needs to be uploaded to.
9. You can close the page when you see the text, ‘Getting your video ready for editing.’ This means the video has finished uploading and is now processing.
10. When the video is done processing, you will have access to the ‘Edit’ and ‘Share’ button. Clicking these will redirect you to the Panopto editor or viewer, which have not changed.
And that’s it! We hope you give this new Panopto web recorder a try and use it for future videos because of the cleaner interface and ease of access