2023 GVSU College Prep Summer Simulator Program
Each summer, the GVSU Charter Schools Office invites high school juniors and seniors from GVSU-authorized charter schools to participate in a week of academic and cultural exploration. During the College Prep Summer Simulator Program, students from across Michigan take a deep dive into everything Grand Valley State University offers to experience what it is like to be a college student!
This year, the GVSU CSO will be offering two College Prep Summer Simulator Program opportunities. Students can select to attend the virtual option (July 10-14), or the in-person option held on GVSU's Allendale Campus (July 16-21).
What To Expect
When you come to Allendale for the GVSU College Prep Summer Simulator Program, you jump right in to a non-stop schedule that keeps you moving, learning, and having fun. Many of the activities focus on college preparation, personal growth, and stepping out of your comfort zone to try something new!
- Campus tours
- Staying in living centers
- Exploring campus and what you want to study
- Simulated college classes with GVSU professors
- Connect with GVSU students and faculty
- Learn about college resources and student support
- Motivational speakers from GVSU
- Free GVSU college application
- SAT Prep course
- Beach day at Lake Michigan
- Explore downtown Grand Rapids
- Tour of local and national museums
- Team-building challenges
- Prize drawing to win GVSU swag, iPads, Beats headphones, and more
- Personal management skill development
- Prepare for professional settings
- Practicing presenting to an audience
The GVSU College Prep Week is led by Dr. Barry Hall II, the director of charter through college programs. Dr. Hall - along with other members of the GVSU Charter Schools Office - plans the major details of the week and is often working "behind the scenes" as the students participate in the day's activities.
Dr. Barry Hall II
College Prep Week Navigators
The GVSU Charter Schools Office recruits current GVSU undergraduate students to be "college prep navigators." These students are typically entering their junior or senior year of college and provide the high school students with insight about the college experience. They work alongside the high school students throughout the entire week and help answer questions.
College Prep Week 2022 staff