GVSU CSO Core Values Award
At the GVSU Charter Schools Office, the primary focus is to understand complex problems in the GVSU network of schools, facilitating the design of solutions, and advancing remarkable change in teaching and learning. Our mission, vision, and strategic outcomes reflect the university's five core values. These core values, which are part of the GVSU’s Reach Higher Strategic Plan, provide a foundation and framework for all Grand Valley Charter Schools’ Office decision-making processes. The core values are:
- Inclusive and Equitable Community
- International Perspectives
To recognize, highlight, and celebrate the efforts of the GVSU network of schools to advance achievement of these core values, the GVSU Charter Schools Office presents a Core Value Award to a school whose program, project, practice, or other initiative best demonstrates advancement of a particular core value.
2023 Winner: Covenant Schools Detroit
The winner of the 2023 Core Value Award for Inclusive and Equitable Community is Covenant Schools Detroit, for its American Sign Language program.
The ASL program is creating opportunities for students to acquire a valuable communication skill and opening pathways to help meet the needs of deaf and hard-of-hearing persons to engage in meaningful and precise conversation.
Eligibility and Requirements
The Awards Program is open to any GVSU-authorized charter school. Applications must be submitted by school boards, on behalf of the school.
- Only one submission per school is allowed.
- Academic performance of the school meets or exceeds the authorizing contract goals, based on the last set of statewide testing data.
- Fiscal and compliance performance of the school meets or exceeds standards, as reported in the most recent School Performance Report.
- CSO reserves the right to rescind any awards granted to an applicant who provided false or fraudulent application information.
- CSO reserves the exclusive right to interpret information submitted and determine awards without claim for damage or recourse of any kind.
Award Selection and Benefits
Award winners are selected by an independent panel of reviewers that will consider applications and evidence submitted in support for the award category. The award category for 2024 is Integrity, for school initiatives that actively pursue and sustain quality educational experiences rooted in research and evidence.
Winning the award comes with many benefits, including:
- Award plaque, to be prominently displayed in the school.
- Award recipient information, to be included on the CSO website, newsletter, etc.
- Monetary grant of $5,000, which may be used to support student enrichment, professional development, or other purchases to support your school (funds will be added to your next academic grant award).
- Other recognition, at the discretion of the CSO.
- 2023: Covenant Schools Detroit (Inclusive and Equitable Community)
- 2022: The Greenspire School -- (Innovation)