If You Are Currently in Crisis:
If there is an immediate threat to self or others, contact 911
On-Campus Mental Health Emergencies
We provide crisis support both at our main Allendale and Pew Campuses.
If a student is having a mental health emergency, they are welcome to drop by our Allendale or Pew Campus offices for an urgent consultation with a counselor during business hours.
If the emergency is happening after-hours or during weekends, support is available. Call 911. You may also contact your Living Center Director or RA for assistance.
Off-Campus Mental Health Emergencies
- CALL 911 : Call your local emergency response services or proceed to the nearest hospital emergency room.
Local and National Hotlines
The following list of local and national resources are provided by the GVSU University Counseling Center as a service to the community. The resources identified on this list are not vetted or endorsed by the University Counseling Center or GVSU.
- Grand Haven: 616-842-4537
- Holland: 616-396-4357
- For all other Ottawa County areas: call toll-free 1-866-512-4357
Kent County Network 180 24-Hr. Access Line: (616) 336-3909
National Suicide Prevention Line & Crisis Chat: 1-800-273-8255
- The Lifeline Crisis Chat is an online support service. You may also call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.
Crisis Text Line: Text 741741
- The Crisis Text Line provides trained volunteers to offer support 24-7.
The Trevor Lifeline: 1-866-488-7386
- Trevor provides suicide prevention and crisis intervention to LGBTQ young people ages 13-24. TrevorChat is available 7 days a week 2:00 pm-8:00 pm CST.
- TrevorText is available Fridays 3:00 pm-7:00 pm CST. Text the word “Trevor” to 1-202-304-1200.
Trans Lifeline: 877-565-8860
- Trans Lifeline is staffed with transgender volunteers ready to respond to whatever support you might need.
Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1 or text to 838255
- The Veterans Crisis Line connects Veterans in crisis and their families and friends with responders through a confidential toll-free hotline, online chat, or text.
YWCA 24-Hour Confidential Helpline: 616-454-9922
- The hotline will connect you with resources about domestic/ dating abuse, sexual assault, stalking, child sexual abuse, prevention, and more.
- Traverse City-focused, this hotline connects those in a crisis with licensed mental health professionals.