Purchasing Your Flight
Step 1: Research plane tickets through different airfare providers.
PLEASE NOTE: COST does not endorse any specific airfare provider; however, the following are popular search engines:
- STA Travel (Your airfare is guaranteed with a $300 non-refundable deposit!) *STA Travel also offers discount airfares for holders of the ISIC card
- Student Universe
You can also visit the website of individual airlines such as Delta, United, etc.
Step 2: Receive official acceptance and placement confirmation from COST through your COST Coordinator.
DO NOT purchase a ticket until you have been officially accepted through COST AND received your placement information. You will be contacted by your university's COST Coordinator once you have been placed. It is important to understand that submitting your application to COST does not mean you have received official placement yet.
Step 3: Buy a ticket!
Once you have received your final placement confirmation from COST, purchase your ticket.
Tips for Purchasing Airplane Tickets
- The Sooner the Better - The sooner you purchase your ticket, the better!
- Wait for Acceptance - Do not purchase your ticket until you have received placement confirmation from COST.
- Check Luggage Costs - Most airlines will let you check 2 suitcases with no charge on an international flight but this number varies and sometimes costs can be as much as $150 or more for extra items. Check with the airline provider you will be flying with for updated information.
- Consider Where and How Long Your Layovers Are - Flights vary with the numbers and length of layovers. If you are comfortable with longer layovers or with layovers in different countries flights may be cheaper.
- Reserve the Best Seat - If you have seating preferences, it is best to make the request when you buy your ticket. The earlier you make your request, the more likely you will get a seat that accommodates your interest.
- Check Restrictions on Change Fees - If you're unsure of the date you want to return due to your interest in traveling at the end of your program, we recommend you look at the airline policy to change your date of return. Change fees can range from $100-$300.
- If You Have Special Dietary Needs - You will have to reserve a special meal well in advance. Contact your airline provider for details on requesting a special meal.