Applied Computer Science, M.S.
- The program offers eight areas of concentration, giving students the flexibility to develop the skills necessary for career advancement.
- The program uses an applied computing curriculum and has dedicated state-of-the-art computer labs for hands-on experience. A premier data communications lab and computer architecture lab are also available.
- Graduate faculty members are experts in their field, holding doctorate degrees, as well as writing textbooks on the subject.
- Classes are flexible and convenient to accommodate working professionals.
- Students pay the same graduate tuition rate, whether they are in- or out-of-state residents.
- Theoretical foundation and practical experience offer excellent preparation for the job market, along with valuable industry experience.
- By focusing on the underlying principles behind cybersecurity, our program prepares students to handle future cybersecurity challenges in addition to today's threats.
- This program is designed to be convenient for working professionals, with classes offered in evenings or online.
- All graduate faculty members are experts in the field, holding doctorate degrees.
- Opportunities for collaboration with faculty members conducting ongoing research.
Data Science and Analytics, M.S.
- Job postings for data science grew 57 percent for the first quarter of 2017. Data-related jobs are expected to grow by 11 percent from 2014 to 2024, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- This flexible program is designed with the working professional in mind, offering evening classes.
- The program offers experiential learning through field experiences and collaborative assignments and projects.
- First-rate faculty members are trained professionals with advanced degrees in data science.
- The program features a strong emphasis in the fundamentals of data science.
Health Informatics and Bioinformatics, M.S.
- One of five professional science masters (PSM) programs at Grand Valley. The demand for professionals working in all of the PSM fields is high, with income and job projections continuing to trend upward in the coming years.
- The program is tailored toward working professionals, offering flexible class schedules with evening meetings.
- Innovative program designed to integrate university coursework with business and health industry internships to educate informatics professionals for the future.
- Access to a high-performance computing lab for health informatics and bioinformatics needs.
- Qualified faculty members with a breadth of industry experience lead in the classroom and collaborate in ongoing research.
The School of Computing offers graduate-level digital badges. A digital badge, or simply “badge”, recognizes a student’s completion of a coherent and meaningful academic experience. A badge allows students to promote academic achievements online more effectively and in different venues than would be possible with a transcript. For example, you could link your digital badge to your LinkedIn profile. The university uses acclaim.com to issue badges. Click here to see an example.
- Biomedical Informatics-The medical and bioinformatics badge prepares students to engage with information systems in a clinical or healthcare setting.
- Cybersecurity-The School of Computing's cybersecurity badge prepares students to identify, assess and address digital security threats.
- Data Analytics-The data analytics badge prepares students to understand and work with big and complex data sets across multiple disciplines.
- Database Management-The School of Computing's database management badge is designed to prepare students to master concepts of relational and non-relational databases.
- Distributed Computing-The School of Computing's distributed computing badge is designed to prepare students to solve the difficult issues related to having computers cooperate in solving a problem.
- Software Design and Development-The School of Computing's software design and development badge is designed to prepare students to become a modern software developer.
- Software Engineering-The School of Computing's software engineering badge is designed to give students deep knowledge of software engineering practice.
- Web and Mobile-The School of Computing's web and mobile computing badge prepares students to design and create web and mobile applications using modern development frameworks.