Therapeutic Recreation - 2019 Program Application
The Therapeutic Recreation (TR) program at Grand Valley State University (GVSU) is a "Secondary Admission Program" which means that any person interested in taking courses within the TR program must first be admitted to GVSU and upon meeting admission prerequisites (see below), are required to submit a "Secondary" application.
Transfer students will follow the same process and meet the same criteria. Transfer students should provide a copy of the course syllabus for any recreation/therapeutic recreation classes they want to transfer to Grand Valley State University.
Application deadline: February 15th
Please Note: This online application does not have the ability to be saved;
it will need to be submitted for the application to be transmitted.
Disclaimer: All PDF forms are best displayed and saved using the free Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
Application Materials Checklist:
- GVSU Undergraduate Application (Students must be admitted to GVSU to be considered for the TR program.)
- Therapeutic Recreation Program Application (submitted online)
- Essay explaining why the applicant has selected therapeutic recreation including leadership and disability experience. Be sure to include your leadership experience and work with individuals who have disabilities. (Prepare a 2-3 page typed essay on a separate sheet of paper and attach to online application)
- Statement of Professional Goals (1-2 pages, on a separate sheet of paper and can be attached to online application)
- Two Recommendations on program specific forms from therapeutic recreation specialists, related health care, or other recreation professionals with whom the applicant has completed volunteer or paid work hours.
- Summary & Verification of Paid/Volunteer Work in Therapeutic Setting(s) form. Of the 50 hour minimum, 20 hours must be completed with a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS)/Recreational Therapist.
- Official and updated copies of ALL non-GVSU transcripts need to be sent directly to the Admissions Office at:
- Grand Valley State University
Attn: Admissions Office
1 Campus Drive - 150 STU
Allendale, MI 49401
- Grand Valley State University
All Therapeutic Recreation Application and supplemental application materials must be submitted by February 15th.
If submitting these materials online is an issue, we will accept them at the address below:
Grand Valley State University
College of Health Professions
301 Michigan St., NE, Suite #113
Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3314
phone (616) 331-5900
fax (616) 331-5643
Secondary Application Instructions
Phase I ~ Prerequisites
The following prerequisites must be met or in progress at the time of application:
- Overall GPA of 2.7 or above
- BIO 120
- CHM 109
- PSY 101
Phase II ~ Application & Supplemental Materials
The completed application & supplemental materials should be submitted online, mailed or hand delivered to the College of Health Professions Student Services office as indicated above no later than February 15th of the intended year of fall semester entry. These include the application, essay explaining why the applicant has selected therapeutic recreation including leadership and disability experience, statement of professional goals, summary & verification of completion of 50 hours (minimum) of volunteer or paid work in a therapeutic setting (20 hours must be with a recreational therapist), and two letters of recommendation from a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS)/Recreational Therapist, or related health care practitioner with whom the applicant has completed volunteer and/or paid hours.
Phase III ~ Applicant Notification
Upon completion of Phases I and II, applicants will be notified of provisional admission into the program and will be asked to set up an advising appointment with a member of the Therapeutic Recreation faculty and will be able to register for the first semester of TR coursework (REC 300, REC 302, REC 304 & REC 389). Upon successful completion of these four courses (80% competency/B- in each course), they will be granted full admission into the Therapeutic Recreation program.