Therapeutic Recreation - 2019 Program Application
The Therapeutic Recreation (TR) program at Grand Valley State University (GVSU) is a "Secondary Admission Program" which means that any person interested in taking courses within the TR program must first be admitted to GVSU and upon meeting admission prerequisites (see below), are required to submit a "Secondary" application.
Transfer students will follow the same process and meet the same criteria. Transfer students should provide a copy of the course syllabus for any recreation/therapeutic recreation classes they want to transfer to Grand Valley State University.
Application deadline: February 15th
Please Note: This online application does not have the ability to be saved,
it will need to be submitted for the application to go through.
Disclaimer: All PDF forms are best displayed and saved using the free Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
Application Materials Checklist:
- GVSU Undergraduate Application (only required for students who are not currently a GVSU student)
- Therapeutic Recreation Program Application (submitted online)
- Two to three page essay on why you selected Therapeutic Recreation as your major. Be sure to include your leadership experience and work with individuals who have disabilities. (Prepare a typed narrative on a separate sheet of paper and attach to online application)
- Statement of Professional Goals (On a separate sheet of paper and can be attached to online application)
- Two Recommendations on program specific forms from therapeutic recreation specialists, related health care, or other recreation professionals with whom the applicant has completed volunteer or paid work hours.
- Summary of Paid/Volunteer Work in Therapeutic Setting(s) form (can be attached to online application)
- Verification of Paid/Volunteer Work in Therapeutic Setting(s) form (can be attached to online application). Of the 50 hour minimum, 20 hours must be completed with a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS)/Recreational Therapist.
- Official and updated copies of ALL non-GVSU transcripts need to be sent directly to the Admissions Office at:
Grand Valley State University
Attn: Admissions Office
1 Campus Drive - 150 STU
Allendale, MI 49401
All supplemental application materials must be submitted by February 15th
and preferably with the online application. If this is an issue, they may be sent to:
Grand Valley State University
College of Health Professions
301 Michigan St., NE Suite #113
Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3314
phone (616) 331-5900
fax (616) 331-5643
Secondary Application Instructions
Phase I ~ Prerequisites
The following prerequisites must be met or in progress at the time of application:
- Overall GPA of 2.7 or above
- CHM 109
- PSY 101
Phase II ~ Application & Supplemental Materials
The completed application & supplemental materials should be mailed or hand delivered to the College of Health Professions Student Services office as indicated below no later than February 15th of the intended year of fall semester entry. These include the application, essay on choosing Therapeutic Recreation as your major, statement of professional goals, verification of completion of 50 hours (minimum) of volunteer or paid work in a therapeutic setting (20 hours must be with a recreational therapist), and two letters of recommendation from a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist/Recreational Therapist, or related health care practitioner with whom the applicant has completed volunteer and/or paid hours.
Phase III ~ Applicant Notification
Upon completion of Phases I and II, applicants will be notified of provisional admission into the program and will be asked to set up an advising appointment with a member of the Therapeutic Recreation faculty and will be able to register for the first semester of TR coursework (REC 300, REC 302, REC 304 & REC 389). Upon successful completion of these four courses (80% competency/B- in each course), they will be granted full admission into the Therapeutic Recreation program.