New Student Advising & Registration

Welcome to the College of Community and Public Service!

Hey there, Laker!

You have indicated an interest in one of the majors within the College of Community and Public Service (CCPS) and will be working with an advisor from the CCPS Undergraduate Advising Center.

During this first part of your orientation process, you will complete each of the THREE STEPS below.

Please watch all videos and familiarize yourself with the links and resources below. This will prepare you for your one-on-one academic advising and registration session that you have scheduled through Admissions. During your one-on-one scheduled advising and registration session, a professional academic advisor from our office will assist you with declaring your major, understanding degree requirements, and registering for the upcoming academic year.

We look forward to meeting you! 

Step Two: Review program guide for your major of interest

Criminal Justice Major

Hospitality and Tourism Management Major

Legal Studies MajorPublic, Nonprofit & Health Administration Major

*Social Work Candidacy Requirements for BSW Admission*Social Work Major

*Secondary Admission:

The School of Social Work requires that students meet all candidacy requirements before admission to the program. Your advisor will review your candidacy with you during your scheduled advising and registration session, and discuss the BSW Application process. If all candidacy requirements are or will be met by August, transfer students may apply and begin the BSW program in the Fall of each academic year.

Step Three: Preparing for Registration

Review steps for sending official transcripts, math and language placement, general education degree requirements, and selecting courses. If you are not transferring in any math courses, you will need to take the math proficiency test to determine your math placement. MTH110 or equivalent is required before enrolling in general education math courses.

Preparing for Registration

Download the New Student Enrollment Guide

The video tutorials below will show you how to access your student records, understand your degree requirements, and use the GVSU Banner Registration System.

All students are required to complete the General Education Program. If you are transferring in with a GPA of 3.5 or higher, you can also consider the Honors College as an alternative to the General Education Program. 

Gen Ed Program

Declaring Your Major

Course Registration

Meet your CCPS Undergraduate Advisors!

Great job! Now that you have completed all three steps above, you are ready to meet with our academic advisors! Your first Transfer or New Student Advising and Registration session must be scheduled through Admissions

After your initial Advising and Registration session, you can make an appointment to meet with your academic program advisor each semester. We want to know how you are doing, and help you track your progress toward graduation. Please make an appointmenteach semester to meet with your advisor by logging in to Navigate with your GVSU User ID and Password, and clicking "schedule an appointment".

Photo of Shantonya Scott

Shantonya Scott

Senior Academic Advisor

Criminal Justice

Legal Studies

Photo of Renica Minott

Renica Minott

Senior Academic Advisor

Hospitality & Tourism Management

Photo of Erika Bailey

Erika Bailey

Senior Academic Advisor

Social Work