Top 10 Tips for Adult Students
Grand Valley is committed to the success of all students, and provides programs and services to meet a wide array of needs and interests. You can find a full list of academic, personal, career, and university life support services listed here but we also know that adult and non-traditional students often have a unique set of needs. In the drop down menu's at the top of the page, we've highlighted some specific information you might find useful on academic, personal, and family resources..We've started by compiling the top 10 Things To Know!
- The library has a variety of off-campus and distance learning services.
- Nontraditional students can study abroad.
- The Padnos International Center helps students and families study abroad and counsels non-traditional students on appropriate programs for their majors, financial constraints, and timelines. Check out their website for more information on studying abroad as an non-traditional student. You can go on trips as short as 2 weeks.
- GVSU students ride the Rapid for free!
- Want to save money on gas and parking? Transportation between and within the Pew Grand Rapids Campus and the Allendale Campus is easy, free, and convenient with the variety of transit service options Grand Valley offers.
- The Writing Center has online services.
- Interested in working with the Writing Center, but don't have time to make it to campus? You can get your grammar, documentation, and punctuation questions answered online!
- You can get a part time parking permit
- There's a student organization for you.
- The Office of Student Life has over 450 registered student organizations focused on a variety of topics including academics, faith, service/advocacy, parenting, Greek life, athletics, and more. Browse the list and find one that interests you!
- The Rec Center has discounted memberships for families of GVSU students.
- All students can utilize the Rec Center and programs for free! Family memberships are also available.
- All GVSU students have access to academic advising.
- Academic advising helps you navigate your way through your academic career. Take advantage of this important service! To learn more about advising at GVSU, check out the academic advising website
- You're not alone!
- Approximately 18% of GVSU's undergraduates are considered "adult learners" or "non-traditional students" and meet one or more of the following criteria: over 24 years old, financially independent, attend school part time, have children, or are veterans.
- You're a Laker!
- Be sure to get your student ID card from any of the university student services location and take advantage of the many discounts available to you on campus and in the community.