Professional Science Master's
- Applied Statistics, M.S.
- Biostatistics, M.S.
- Cell and Molecular Biology (biotechnology), M.S.
- Data Science and Analytics, M.S.
- Health Informatics and Bioinformatics, M.S.
Visit gvsu.edu/psm for information on each individual program.
Why Study PSM at Grand Valley?
- The PSM offers two years of training in respective biological or
computer science courses along with professional training in the
workplace, including business, communications, and regulatory
- The demand for professionals working in all of the PSM fields is
high, with projections continuing to be positive in the coming years.
- The programs are tailored toward working professionals, offering
flexible class schedules with evening meetings. Learning includes a
combination of coursework, professional internships and other
experiential learning programs.
- Local partners such as Charles River Labs, Empirical Biosciences,
Kent County Health Department, Michigan State University, MiHIN, and
many more provide students with excellent internship and career opportunities.
- Graduates are employed at reputable companies nationwide,
including Amway, Priority Health, Van Andel Research Institute,
Meijer, Spectrum Health, Steelcase, Cisco Systems, NxGenMDx, and Zoetis.
Location & Format
Class location varies by program. Consult individual program listing.Formats:
Each program is tailored toward its respective subject. However, all five PSM programs have common characteristics. These include their interdisciplinary nature, internship component, involvement with the university and its industry partners, and emphasis on teamwork, professional skills, problem-solving, communication, scientific knowledge, and technical skills.
Master's level statisticians, cell and molecular biologists, data analysts, those working in health informatics and bioinformatics, and biostatisticians often work in the following areas:
- Academic research laboratories
- Business intelligence
- Data management and analysis
- Drug development/clinical trials
- Evaluation of clinical trials data
- Healthcare data analysis
- Marketing analytics
“Students graduate feeling confident in their ability to follow their curiosities and in their ability to take the initiative to understand whatever new ideas or skills are required of them.”
2015 BIOSTATISTICS GRADUATE