The Master of Science in cybersecurity is designed to help computing professionals expand their knowledge in the cybersecurity area, creating opportunities for advancement in the field. It will build skills to recognize, prepare for, defend against, and investigate current and future threats.
The cybersecurity program contains broad coverage of the discipline, preparing students to address a wide variety of issues across an organization. Theoretical concepts are complemented by hands-on application throughout the program. All students will complete a Capstone experience consisting of either a thesis or an applied project.
Why Study Cybersecurity at Grand Valley?
- A theoretical foundation and practical experience offer excellent preparation for the job market and valuable experience.
- By focusing on the underlying principles behind cybersecurity, our program prepares students to handle future cybersecurity challenges in addition to today's threats.
- All graduate faculty members hold doctorate degrees.
- There are opportunities for collaboration with faculty members on ongoing research.
- This program is designed to be convenient for working professionals, with courses offered in evenings or online.
- The School of CIS has its own dedicated state-of-the-art computer labs for hands-on learning.
For More InformationSchool of Computing and Information Systems
C-2-100 Mackinac Hall
Deadline is July 1 for fall semester; November 1 for winter semester; and April 1 for spring/summer. The $30 nonrefundable application fee is waived if the applicant has previously applied to Grand Valley State University. Please visit gvsu.edu/gradapply/.
Location & Format
Classes for the program are a combination of online and in-seat on the Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids Campus.Format: Hybrid
The curriculum covers a wide breadth of cybersecurity related knowledge:
- Data analysis
- Network security
- Security policy
- Threat modeling
- Legal/ethical issues
- Secure software
- Systems security
There is a strong demand for cybersecurity professionals. Numerous job opportunities are available, including: