Official name changes must be completed with the social security administration before our records can be updated. To start the process, request a name change with the social security administration at http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ . A copy of the new social security card or a letter from the social security administration is required to accompany the Name Change Form.
After changing your name with the Records Office, it will automatically be updated in the following systems:
- Student ID card system (a new card will not be issued unless you request it-see below)
- Ultratime (for student employees)
- Alumni Relations
- Development Office
- GVSU mailroom
Your name is unable to be automatically changed in all systems. Please attend to the following as necessary.
- Address and Phone Number Changes: Update your address and phone number in myBanner.
- Alert Notification Information: Update phone numbers and emails for GVSU alert notifications.
- Diplomas: If you have applied to graduate (but have not yet received your diploma) and wish to have your diploma reflect your new name, complete a new diploma application.
- Diploma Replacement: If you have already graduated but wish to have a new copy of your diploma in your new name, email the following information to your degree auditor or firstname.lastname@example.org: name you wish to have on the diploma, address to which the diploma should be sent, phone number, email address, graduation date, degree awarded, last four digits of social security number and date of birth. There is a $35 replacement fee for graduate and undergraduate degrees. Replacement degrees for the Doctorate of Physical Therapy or the Doctor of Nursing Practice are $45. You will be contacted by phone for payment information. The process takes 6-8 weeks.
- Student Employees: Student employees are required to update their I-9 form in the Student Employment Office (105 Student Services Building in Allendale) after completing the official name change process with the Records Office. Please bring original documents indicating the name change.
- Gmail Email: contact Computer Authorizations at email@example.com to request that your email address reflect your new name.
- Health Insurance: If you purchased student health insurance through Grand Valley, change your name on your insurance policy by emailing Jacqueline Adams in the Business office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Housing Emergency Contact: If you live in on-campus housing, contact the Housing Office to update/change your emergency contact.
- ID Card: Request a new student ID in your new name at either Student Assistance Center (150 Student Services in Allendale or 115C DeVos at the Pew campus), or at our campuses in Holland, Muskegon and Traverse City. There is no replacement fee to acquire a student ID with your new name.
- Students who have a Perkins or Nursing long term loan should contact the Student Accounts Office to change your name on your student loan.
- Student who have a Federal Direct* loan or an Alternative/Private loan should contact each loan servicer to update your name.
- Payroll: For student employees, change your payroll direct deposit information if you have made changes to your bank account(s) in conjunction with a name change.
- Network ID: contact Computer Authorizations at email@example.com to request that your network ID be changed to reflect your new name.
- Misc: Change your name with your credit card companies, banks (i.e. checking/savings accounts), passport agency, your personal and professional email contacts.
* Students who have borrowed Federal loans in the past will also need to update their name with the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS). Visit www.nslds.ed.gov for contact information. You are required to send/fax a copy of court order approving your legal name change, an updated social security card and driver's license or state identification card in order to have your name updated within their system.