Official name changes must be completed with the social security administration before our records can be updated. To start the process, request a name change with the social security administration at
http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/. To complete the legal name change procedures at GVSU, you must visit Payroll to present your Social Security Card in your legal name. If you have questions, please contact Payroll at 616-331-2237.
Your name will be automatically updated in the following systems that apply to you:
- Alumni Relations
- Banner Travel and Expense (T&E)
- Delta Dental
- Development Office
- Electronic Performance Development Program (ePDP)
- Faculty/Staff Administrative Directory in GVSU Student catalog
- Faculty/Staff Directory
- Faculty/Staff ID Card system (you need to request a new card - see below)
- GVSU Mailroom
- Pew Campus Access Cards system
- Priority Health (for Priority Health Standard HMO participants)
- UMR - for GVSU High Deductible Health Plan, GVSU Standard PPO and Flexible Spending Account participants
Your name is unable to be changed in all systems. Please consider the following and change your name as indicated in these other systems should you wish to do so:
- Digital Measures: Faculty contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- eVisions (Argos, FormsFusion, Intellicheck) User ID: contact the helpdesk at x12101 or email@example.com
- Fidelity: (select forms by category, making changes to your account, Name Change form)
- Fieldhouse locker rental: email Mark Nawrocki, Assistant Athletic & Rec Facilities Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Health Savings Account (HSA) with United Bank: Call 800-968-1990
- Hourly Staff Defined Benefit Programs: (complete the Beneficiary Designation for Death Benefit (hourly staff only) form
- ID Card -GVSU: Request a Faculty/Staff ID card in your new name in Human Resources (1090 James H. Zumberge Hall) or Student Services (Student Services Building or DeVos student services windows)
- Keys - GVSU Issued: If you have GVSU issued keys, please contact Facilities Maintenance/Hardware Key Records, CUB 202, 331-3861
- Network ID: contact Computer Authorizations at email@example.com or *Computer Account Authorizations in Outlook to change your network ID
- Onbase User ID: contact the helpdesk at x12101 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Outlook email: contact Computer Authorizations at email@example.com or *Computer Account Authorizations in Outlook to change your email address
- People Finder: Ask your departmental office coordinator to update your name.
- SAS-PC: contact the helpdesk at x12101 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- TIAA-CREF: (Complete the TIAA-CREF Change of Name Form)
Other things to consider:
- Address/Phone Number: Update your address/phone number.
- Department: Check with your departmental office coordinator about any internal office databases/software that is not automatically updated by Banner
- Emergency Contact: Update your Emergency Contact information with Human Resources at x12215.
- FSA Direct Deposit: Change your UMR Flexible Spending Account direct deposit if you have changed an account(s) in conjunction with your name change. Select the FSA Direct Deposit Authorization Form.
- Life Insurance: Update your Life Insurance beneficiaries (complete the Life Insurance Beneficiary & Name Change Form) or change the amount of your supplemental life insurance.
- Life Event: If you have changed your name because of a life event, please visit the Life Event Changes pages on the Human Resources site for valuable information. You may be able to make a mid-year benefit change that corresponds with the qualified event.
- Miscellaneous: Change your name with your credit card company(ies), banks (ie: checking/savings accounts), passport agency (passports), your personal and professional email contacts
- Payroll Direct Deposit: Change your payroll direct deposit if you have changed an account(s) in conjunction with your name change.