We'll Save You a Spot
If you’re a Michigan high school senior graduating this year and you’ve enlisted in the military, we have a groundbreaking way of saying ‘thank you.’ It’s the GVSU Veteran Promise and we’re the first university in the country and only university in Michigan to reward your military service this way.
Introducing the GVSU Veteran Promise
If you have committed to serving our country for at least two years and are graduating from a Michigan high school this year, we offer admission to Grand Valley State University deferred until you’re ready. This means that we'll look at your application materials now and provide you with an application decision, then hold your spot at GVSU until you're ready to enroll. Your willingness to make a commitment to your country means something, and the least we can do is to eliminate the worry about being accepted to college.
There is no obligation or cost to participate. Your next steps are outlined below. View our frequently asked questions page for more details.
To be eligible for the Veteran's Promise you must have...
- served at least two years (Active Duty) OR have a signed six-year duty obligation (Reserves/National Guard);
- have either an Honorable or General Discharge Under Honorable Conditions (if applying after you’ve completed your enlistment);
- and completed the State of Michigan’s high school graduation requirements.
All graduating Michigan high school seniors who have signed enlistment papers to serve in the U.S. military are reserved a spot at GVSU upon exit of their service or they may begin courses online during their active duty years.
Your Next Steps
- Register for the Veteran Promise program — this will allow us to send you updates and reminders about the program, plus let us know that you’re interested in attending.
- Once you’re ready to apply for admission;
- complete an online application
- have your high school send us your official high school transcript
- send us your official transcripts for any college coursework previously completed or in progress
You do not need to complete a Grand Valley application until prior to the semester you wish to begin.
Related Veteran Programs
GVSU’s LEADS for Veterans Program
Michigan Veteran's Affairs Agency
Why Michigan Program