LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out information about COVID-19
Welcome to TRIO STEM
Thank you for your interest in the TRIO Student Support Services STEM-Health Sciences program also referred to as TRIO STEM.
We hope you will take a few minutes to look around our website and view the resources we have put together for you and your student.
Our Director's Welcome
In order to be eligible to be a TRIO STEM participant:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Be a first-generation college student (neither parent/guardian has earned their bachelor’s degree from a four-year institution)
- AND/OR meet specific income guidelines established by the U.S. Department of Education
- Interested in pursuing a career in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) or Health Sciences
Students are not the only ones who benefit from our TRIO STEM program. Parents and supporters are relieved to find that there is someone on campus their student can go to for any help or needed resources.
93% of our students persist from year to year in our program.
*The Persistence Rate for a 4-year institution is defined as the percentage of all participants served by the TRIO STEM program in the reporting year who enroll at the Grand Valley State University in the fall term of the next academic year or graduate with a bachelor's degree during the reporting year.
Our program proudly shares the following:
- At least 20% of our students are on the Dean's List every semester.
- Average of 71% of our students finish with a 2.5 or higher GPA each semester.
- 11 TRIO STEM students participated in our first TRIO Chile Study Abroad program in 2019.
(These statistics are averages of the past five semesters and do not include Winter 2020.)
Good Academic Standing*
99% of our participants are in Good Standing at Grand Valley State University.
*Good Academic Standing (GAS) is defined as the percentage of participants served by the TRIO STEM program who met the performance level required to stay in good academic standing at Grand Valley State University. To be in Good Standing a student's GPA must be over a 2.0.