About TRIO TPSSS
TRIO TPSSS Overview
What is TRIO- Teacher Teacher Preparation Student Support Services (TPSSS)?
The TRIO- Teacher Teacher Preparation Student Support Services (TPSSS) is a federally funded grant program that promotes the success, retention and graduation of future teachers from Grand Valley State University. TPSSS works with teaching majors who are first-generation, income-eligible students or students with disabilities to help them work toward graduation by offering them individualized services based on personalized needs as much as possible. Through TPSSS, students and the GVSU community are able to build bridges to connect students to pathways for success.
See the video above for an overview to GVSU's TRIO TPSSS.
TRIO TPSSS Mission Statement
The mission of TRIO Teacher Preparation Student Support Services (TPSSS) is to promote learning, personal development, and retention for undergraduate students who are interested in or pursuing a K-12 teaching degree and who are traditionally underrepresented in, or under-prepared for postsecondary education because of income, family educational background, or disability.
Services and Benefits Provided by TRIO TPSSS
TRIO TPSSS provides a number of services to participants of the program that include but are not limited to the following:
- Academic Learning and Study Skills
- Academic Tutoring Services
- Academic Collaborative Study Groups
- Academic Skill Building
- Public Speaking Skills/Toast Master
- Financial and Economic Literacy
- Professional Readiness Exam (PRE) Preparation
- State Subject Test Preparation
- Mentoring and Tutoring K-12 Students
- “Teaching and Learning in a Diverse Environment” Course (EDF 100)
- Comprehensive Academic Assessment
- Career Assessment
- Individual Proactive Advising
- Course Selection Guidance
- Coaching and Mentoring Services
- Financial Aid (FAFSA) and Scholarship Assistance
- Cultural Events
- Graduate and Advance Degree Assistance
- TPSSS Orientation