MTTC & Test Prep Info
Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC)
Students who plan to earn a Michigan teaching certificate must take and pass the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) in their major, minor, and endorsement(s), if applicable. The CLAS Academic Advising Center provides general information on preparing for the MTTC.
Visit www.mttc.nesinc.com for information about:
- Test Dates
- Online MTTC Test Registration
- Score Reporting
- Test Add/Change/Refund Forms (In the Questions dropdown menu, select "Changing My Registration" to see questions on how to add/change/refund a test.
- Study Guides
MTTC Test frequently asked questions ...
ACT, SAT, or GRE Test
Candidates for initial certification in the undergraduate education program are also required to have either official ACT, SAT, or GRE test scores on-file with the Office of Admissions at GVSU. Since the SAT test is currently provided at Michigan high schools, this is the most common test to take for admissions.
Students should direct SAT to send their official scores to Grand Valley State University (Institution code: 1258) and Michigan Department of Education Teacher Certification (Institution code: 6962).
Study Guides and Resources
- CLAS Advising Center provides MTTC Content Area Test information.
- MoMetrix eLibrary provides online access to MTTC study guides and flash cards available through the GVSU Library. You may need to log-in through the GVSU Library in order to access this database. Click on Teaching, then scroll down to "MTTC" and select the MTTC test(s) you are interested in. To access flashcards, look at the "Products" area on the Mometrix homepage, where there are links to Study Guides, Flashcards, and Practice Tests.
- For Testing Accommodations, review the requirements needed with your Disability Support Resources advisor.
Preparing for the GRE?
Thinking of taking the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE)? TRIO TPSSS has GRE preparation books and flash cards available to be loaned out to students in the program.
To loan out GRE preparation material(s) contact our office!
Reducing Test Anxiety
If you suffer from test anxiety please read this PDF guide, Dealing with Test Anxiety, to identify and cope with stress.