LAKERS TOGETHER: COVID vaccine required by September 30. Face coverings required indoors.
Higher Education Abroad
Discover the different education systems around the world and develop your own personal international pedagogy. Imagine yourself doing your student teaching in a Spanish classroom, or learn the African teaching style during a semester in South Africa!
GVSU also gives you the opportunity to fulfill your teacher assisting requirement in either South Africa or Spain with our faculty-led programs!
The programs highlighted on this page are a good fit for students in Education.
*ENG 365: Teaching ESL (3 credits) AND
ENG 400: Language Arts for Teachers (3 credits)
*CSAT majors can use this to fulfill SAT 495
***Fulfills Global Perspectives and 1 Issues
EDI 330/331: Methods and Strategies of Teaching (5 credits) AND
EDF 310: Organizing and Managing Classroom Environments (3 credits) AND
EDR 320/321: Content Area Literacy (3 credits) AND
EDT 370: Technology in Education (if needed)
*Special Education Majors contact faculty director for course sequence.
**Fulfills Global Perspectives and 1 Issues
*EDF 315: Diverse Perspectives on Education (3 credits) AND
EDF 380: Cultural Exploration in Spain (3 credits)
*Fulfills a requirement for admission into CECI
**Fulfills Global Perspectives, U.S Diversity, and 1 Issues
Gain real-world experience globally and build your international network by participating in Education internships abroad.
FIRST YEAR AND SOPHOMORE STUDENTS
- The earliest you can go abroad is the summer of your first year.
- Students may fulfill General Education Foundation and Issues requirements abroad.
- Students taking at least 3 credits abroad will fulfill their Global Perspectives requirement.
- Students may take courses that satisfy some requirements in their Education major or the General Education program. Be sure to begin planning at least six months in advance.
- Students should make sure they will have met prerequisites such as language and other foundation courses before they go abroad; it is important that students have prepared themselves adequately in the language of the country they will be visiting to maximize their study abroad learning experience.
- Fulfill your teacher assisting abroad through the Spain and South Africa faculty-led programs.
To determine the GVSU Course Equivalencies for courses taken abroad, please visit our Course Approval page.
Once you have selected a program, schedule a meeting with your academic advisor to discuss your plans.
For more information email the Department Contact.