Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in Statistics
Major in Statistics with Actuarial Sciences Emphasis
Statistics majors have a wide variety of opportunities in government, industry, and education. Statisticians are specialists, but statistics by its nature demands that they be generalists also. Statistics uses mathematics, but it is not abstract or isolated: statisticians work with people from other professional backgrounds to solve practical problems.
“The statistics major has really opened a lot of doors for me. Employers are interested in finding people who can think analytically and communicate their findings to a non-technical audience.”
Kristin Vaughn (Rench), graduate in Statistics
A) All majors must complete the following statistics core courses (Credits: 17)
- STA 215 - Introductory Applied Statistics (Credits: 3) OR STA 312 - Probability and Statistics (Credits: 3)
- STA 216 - Intermediate Applied Statistics (Credits: 3)
- STA 412 - Mathematical Statistics I (Credits: 4)
- STA 415 - Mathematical Statistics II (Capstone) (Credits: 4)
- STA 419 - Statistics Project (Credits: 3)
B) All majors with the Actuarial Sciences emphasis must complete the following courses (Credits: 6)
- STA 311 - Introduction to Survey Sampling (Credits: 3)
- STA 321 - Applied Regression Analysis (Credits: 3)
C) All majors with the Actuarial Sciences emphasis must complete the following courses (Credits: 6)
- STA 318 - Statistical Computing OR STA 418 - Statistical Computing and Graphics With R (Credits: 3)
- STA 425 - Actuarial Probability and Statistics (Credits: 3)
D) Cognate Requirements (Credits: 14)
Completion of MTH 201, MTH 202, MTH 227, and one of CIS 160, CIS 161, CIS 162 or CIS 261 satisfies the B.S. degree cognate for statistics majors. Completion of these courses plus the foreign language requirement for a B.A. satisfies the B.A. degree cognate for statistics majors. The following cognates are required of all students majoring in statistics:
- MTH 201 - Calculus I (Credits: 4)
- MTH 202 - Calculus II (Credits: 4)
- MTH 227 - Linear Algebra I (Credits: 3)
and one of the following:
- CIS 160 - Programming with Visual Basic (Credits: 3)
- CIS 161 - Computational Science (Credits: 3)
- CIS 162 - Computer Science I (Credits: 4)
- CIS 261 - Structured Programming in C (Credits: 3)
E) Application Cognates (15 credits)
- ACC 212 - Principles of Financial Accounting (Credits: 3)
- BOTH ECO 210 - Introductory Macroeconomics (Credits: 3) AND ECO 211 - Introductory Microeconomics (Credits: 3)
- JUST THE ONE COURSE ECO 200 - Business Economics (Credits: 3)
- FIN 320 - Managerial Finance (Credits: 3)
- FIN 321 - Investments (Credits: 3)
- FIN 331 - Risk and Insurance (Credits: 3)
Find out more about the Courses in the Catalog.
Each major in statistics must select an area of application consisting of at least six credits from outside statistics.
Students must meet with their statistics advisor to develop specific plans for their Application Cognates .
Students are strongly encouraged to meet with their advisor as soon as their major in statistics is declared.