Discovering STEM Kit Program
The kits are designed to incorporate real world concepts that pique student interests and critical thinking skills while also motivating performance in STEM subjects.
Kits are used in a variety of ways:
- science and math family nights
- individual classroom use
- after school tutoring
- summer school programming
- individual family game nights
Discovering STEM Kits Policy & Procedures
Thank you to those that participated in the Discovering STEM kit program!
For the 2017/2018 school year we experienced a large increase in kit use. This is notable and very welcomed! However, as the RMSC anticipates further increases, it is imperative to address a few items that impact future use.
1. KIT PICK-UP / DROP OFF: Allendale campus is experiencing growth. For Discovering STEM kit users this means we have a new pick up and drop off site along with new procedures. Please be familiar with the new pick-up/drop-off and procedures. Campus police are certain to ticket vehicles without permits. Please call our main office number (616.331.2267) before you leave to pick up and drop off. This will allow us to be outside with your kits on carts waiting for you.
2. KIT REPLACEMENT POLICY: Kits are funded through grants, developed by faculty and assembled by staff. If for some reason a kit is damaged or lost, schools will be expected to pay for the replacement of kits. Typically, kits cost between $120 and $175. Please be respectful with kit handling and restocking.
3. RESERVATION and SCHEDULING TIME FRAME. The Regional Math and Science Center works very hard to accommodate and service every reservation request, however the process of securing a date for use, pick up and drop off arrangements, and available RMSC staff to assist picking up and dropping off, can be complex. Because of the increase of Discovering STEM kit use, we must ask that you allow 5 - 7 business days to process a reservation request. This means you must reserve kits at least 1 week prior to use and all requests must go through Austin Phillips - Phillia2@gvsu.edu
Discovering STEM Kits
Discovering STEM Kits are available for a one week loan to educational organizations from the RMSC. To learn more about these kits, please click below:
"The program and kits include well-developed content and materials. The activities correlate well with grade-level standards. We look forward to using the science and math kits in a few months! Both students and staff enjoyed the activities!"
Fourth grade teacher,
New Branches Charter Academy
Math Games & Activities
Looking for ways to engage your children in mathematics? We can help with games and activities you can easily assemble.