Miller Johnson Pre-Law Student Intern
Date and Time
Friday, March 9, 2018
Miller Johnson Pre-Law Student Intern – Fall 2018
Miller Johnson partners with Grand Valley State University to provide an academic semester-long internship opportunity (two opportunities per year – fall and winter). The internship is intended to provide a pre-law student with exposure to a law firm environment, legal work, and legal professionals.
The position is a paid position scheduled for 10 hours per week while college is in session. The student will not be scheduled to work the weeks immediately preceding and during exams or during school breaks.
The type of work to be performed will include the following:
- Conduct legal / case study research and review legal documents, including deposition summaries.
- Opportunities to work with attorneys and observe attorneys “in action” in court and other legal proceedings.
- Assistance with the firm’s diversity and inclusion function. For example, the intern may help coordinate or attend the firm diversity and inclusion events.
- Junior or senior at Grand Valley State University who intends to go to law school to pursue a legal career
- Minimum 3.0 grade point average
- Demonstrated commitment toward diversity and inclusion
Interested students should submit the following via email (Microsoft Word and/or PDF format) to GVSU Department of Political Science Professor Mark Richards at email@example.com no later than 4:00 p.m. Friday, March 9, 2018:
- A current resume.
- A brief (1-2 page) statement of suitability in terms of your interest in pursuing a legal career and in terms of your commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- A writing sample approximately 5-6 pages long. This should be a written project, report, or paper produced for a GVSU class. Applicants may revise the writing sample prior to submission.
In addition, applicants must request official transcripts from GVSU and have them sent to: Holly Smith, Miller Johnson, 45 Ottawa Ave SW, Suite 1100, Grand Rapids, MI 49503. Instructions on how to request official transcripts can be found here:
Submission of any materials not required, such as letters of recommendation, may reflect negatively on the applicant. Applicants are initially reviewed by Professor Richards, who will refer a group of semifinalists to Miller Johnson. Miller Johnson will select finalists and invite them for an employment interview. Finalists will be interviewed at Miller Johnson by a Human Resources Representative and an Attorney on the firm’s Diversity Council.
The successful candidate will begin work in September 2018. The student may be eligible to earn internship credits at the discretion of the student’s major department.