Council Structure, Expectations, and Members
Council membership is open to Grand Valley students, staff, and faculty committed to and engaged with issues and matters related or important to Native Americans. The council consists of Native American community members with university representation from the following areas: Division of Inclusion and Equity (convener), Office of the Provost, Enrollment Development Division, Division of Student Services, Office of Multicultural Affairs, and the Native American Student Association. Members are invited to participate by the Vice President for Inclusion and Equity. Terms are three years and are renewable for up to two consecutive terms. Meetings are held at least 9 times per year. Council Minutes.
Structure and Membership
- Members are invited by the Vice President for Inclusion and Equity.
- At least two-thirds of members should self-identify as Native American. Ex-officio administrative members are non-voting and, therefore, not included in this count.
- At least one-third of members should be community representatives. Ex-officio administrative members are non-voting and, therefore, not included in this count.
- Members should include:
- At least one representative from the Native American Students Association
- Representatives from faculty, staff, students, and community members appointed by the Vice President for Inclusion and Equity with nominations by the current council
- Ex-Officio (non-voting) members include:
- Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs or designee (ex-officio)
- Vice President for Enrollment Development or designee (ex-officio)
- Vice Provost for Student Affairs and Dean of Students or designee (ex-officio)
- Representative from the Office of Multicultural Affairs (ex-officio)
- Members serve a 3-year renewable term, with a maximum of two consecutive terms.
- The Vice President for Inclusion and Equity or designee convenes the council. The Vice President for Inclusion and Equity is a voting member and included in the full membership counts.
- In consultation with all member of the council, meeting agendas are developed by the Vice President for Inclusion and Equity, or designee(s). Any member of the council may propose items for discussion or information.
- Council meets at least 9 times annually.
- Format of meetings will be discussion and advise; individual members may provide item recommendations as needed.
- Sub-committees may be created as needed.
Member Expectations and Responsibilities
- Advise the Division of Inclusion and Equity and the Vice President for Inclusion and Equity, or designee(s), related to support for Native American students, staff, and faculty.
- Advise the Division of Inclusion and Equity and the Vice President for Inclusion and Equity, or designee(s), related to Native American-focused programming and education (training, curriculum, etc.)
- Foster an environment of trust and engagement between the University, through the Division of Inclusion and Equity and the Vice President for Inclusion and Equity, or designee(s), and the Native American communities, both on- and off-campus.
- Facilitate open communication between Native American communities and the University through the Division of Inclusion and Equity and the Vice President for Inclusion and Equity, or designee(s).
- Support messaging and communication of Grand Valley State University efforts to advance Native American inclusion and equity to the broader community.
- Serve as a conduit between the local, state, and national Native American communities.
|First Name||Last Name||Title|
|Ed||Aboufadel||Assistant Vice President for Academic Affairs at GVSU||View|
|Belinda||Bardwell||Project Coordinator, Kutsche Office of Local History at GVSU||View|
|Jesse||Bernal||Vice President for Inclusion and Equity at GVSU||View|
|Hunter||Genia||Owner, Resilience Counseling and Consultation||View|
|Barry||Hall||Assistant Director of Charter Through College Programs||View|
|Simone||Jonaitis||Executive Director, Center for Adult and Continuing Studies at GVSU||View|
|Marlene||Kowalski-Braun||Associate Vice President for Enrollment Development and Deputy Inclusion and Equity Officer||View|
|Julia||Mason||Associate Professor, Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies at GVSU||View|
|Levi||Rickert||Editor and Publisher, Native News Online||View|
|Andrea||Riley-Mukavetz||Assistant Professor, Liberal Studies Department at GVSU||View|
|Patricia||Stow Bolea||Professor, School of Social Work & Pew Faculty Teaching and Learning Center at GVSU||View|
|Seth||Sutton||Program Director, Digital Arts Department at Montcalm Community College||View|