myName FAQs

You can change your myName on file by simply entering in a new First and/or Last name in the myProfile module.  This will overwrite the previous myName that was on file.  Please allow for a few days for the systems to receive the change and begin to use the new myName on file.

You can remove the myName you have on file with Banner and revert back to your name on Banner.  Simply follow these instructions:

  • Login to Banner Self Service and select the Personal Information tab and then My Profile
  • Select Edit on the Personal Details section where you can check the box to Revert Back to Original Name
  • This will remove your myName on Banner and begin using your indicated name in Banner throughout the GVSU systems
  • For Students, this request will change your email display name back to your name that is in Banner
  • For Faculty and Staff, your email display name will not change unless you make an email request to explaining what you would like your email display name to show

GVSU  will use myName except where legal name is required by the university or legal obligations. Both internal and external communications (i.e. emails or letters to students/parents/guardians, LakerJobs, internships) as well as People Finder Directory will also include myName.

myName will NOT be used for the following purposes:

  • Accounting and Taxes
  • Accounts Payable
  • Admissions application
  • Employment and Payroll
  • Government reporting
  • Health Care and Benefits
  • NCAA eligibility
  • Official Transcripts
  • Student Accounts (billing. loans and collections)
  • Travel and Expenses

Students: Please note that your Email Display Name automatically changes with a myName request.

Faculty/Staff:  If you want your email display name updated to reflect your myName:

  • You must submit a request via a secure online formYour email display name is reflected by a first and last name you choose versus the actual email/network account ID. 
  • Please see the example below:
    • Legal name = Chris Jones
    • Approved myName = Pat Jones
    • Email display name if no change requested = ‘Chris Jones'
    • Email display name if changed to myName via online request
    • Email/network account ID will remain =

Click here for a myName eMail Troubleshooting guide.

To obtain a new ID card:

  • Students: please visit the Registrar's Office in person at any of the Student Assistance Centers in Allendale, Grand Rapids, Holland, or Traverse City
  • Faculty, Staff, and Official Retirees: please visit the Human Resources office at 1090 James H. Zumberge Hall, Allendale, MI or one of the Student Assistance Center locations

This process is currently being developed.  We are unable to make the change at this time.

If you legally change your name, a legal name change does not automatically update an existing myName.  Please follow the myName process to update myName in this case or contact the Records office or Human Resources for assistance.

A request can take up to two business days to process and be available in Banner. 

The current system can only accept the hyphen and apostrophe as special characters within a name.  All other special characters will be denied.

How can I change my address?

Address Change

This video shows users how to change an address in their myProfile.