The Knowledge Market is an interdisciplinary peer-to-peer collaborative service that brings together similarly-aligned academic programs to help students develop their intellectual skills, habits, and identities.
We view the GVSU campus as a community of students, all with their own unique processes, purposes, and goals. The Knowledge Market should enable students to achieve their academic goals toward full participation in our campus community as well as in larger academic, professional, and global contexts. Because students have different expectations, processes, and audiences, the Knowledge Market must provide services that support and enhance one another, such as:
- One-to-one consultations to support any student on campus working on any project
- Utilize an inquiry-based Socratic approach to guide students to discover their own knowledge, ideas, and opinions rather than direct or instruct students towards specific answers
- Cross train staffs so they can knowledgeably communicate, collaborate, and connect students with other Knowledge Market partners
- Collaboratively develop new programming, resources, and trainings to adapt to student needs
- Participate as an equal stakeholder in an administrative and philosophical collaboration with other Knowledge Market partners
The Knowledge Market is founded on the principles that life-long skills can be cultivated through the social act of sharing power, skills, and information and that a person’s peers can, with proper training and support, provide them with valuable assistance in developing life-long skills. Therefore, we value: