GVSU COVID-19 Data Dashboard
This dashboard is updated weekdays.
Last update was Wednesday, December 8, 2021, 8:00 a.m.
Grand Valley is committed to transparency in the testing and trends of the virus within our entire community of faculty, staff, and students – including those who live on and off campus. Cases shown in the charts below include data obtained from: reports on self-assessment, notifications from the Ottawa and Kent County Health Departments, and the GVSU testing program.
Note: Data may be truncated or improperly displayed on mobile devices.
Daily Confirmed COVID-19 Cases in the GVSU Community (Last 10 Days)
Current Active and Cumulative Cases in the GVSU Community (Population ~28,000)
"Current active cases" is the count of positive cases reported to the Virus Action Team over the past ten days. This is an estimate of those currently in isolation, assuming a ten day symptomatic period following the reporting of a positive test result. Actual periods of isolation are specific to the individual and determined by the county health department.
A total of 4,652 cases have been confirmed in the GV community since August 1, 2020, including 130 Faculty members, 283 Staff, 670 on-campus students, 2,283 off-campus students in Ottawa County, 1,026 off-campus students in Kent County, and 260 students in other/unknown counties. As late case reports are received, these numbers may be adjusted.
COVID-19 Vaccination of the 2021-2022 GV Community
current GVSU students and employees with approved vaccination exemptions
exemption request statistics (F2021)
Online-only students who received a postponement (N~200) are not included among the "Current GVSU Students". Of those individuals who made requests for multiple exemption types and received an exemption ("Multiple" in the "Approved Vaccination Exemptions" table), approximately 70% were approved for a Religious exemption. Simultaneous multiple-exemption-type requests (N~120) are not included in the "Exemption Request Statistics".
Historical Trend of Cases in the GVSU community
Last six months of data displayed. For earlier data, see the archived 2020-2021 GVSU Data Dashboard.
GVSU Testing Program
Note: Erroneous positivity peaks --- due to the Thanksgiving and Winter breaks, when no surveillance testing was performed --- have been truncated to aid display.
"GV Surveillance" data are based on invitations to various groups: (1) regular (weekly or bi-weekly) testing of groups such as resident assistants and faculty teaching face-to-face courses; (2) students in specific residence halls or apartment complexes, on a multi-week rotation; (3) targeted testing of specific groups in a given week due to current COVID conditions; and (4) students and staff chosen randomly each week. About 1 in 7 students who are attending at least one course on campus are invited each week. More details are available about the GV testing program. "GV Total" includes surveillance testing plus all symptomatic/exposure tests administered on campus by Spectrum Health. The GV testing program began on August 21, 2020.
GVSU Cases in Ottawa and Kent Counties
COVID-19 Hospital Statistics in West Michigan (Region 6)
COVID-19 Vaccination Statistics in West Michigan (Region 6)
Data taken from the Michigan.gov COVID-19 Vaccine Dashboard. Region 6 includes the counties: Kent, Ottawa, Muskegon, Ionia, Montcalm, Newaygo, Clare, Isabella, Lake, Mason, Mecosta, Oceana, and Osceola. The region is served by 22 hospitals and has a population of approximately 1.5 million (with 655k in Kent, 290k in Ottawa, 175k in Muskegon).
This page is maintained by GVSU's Virus Action Team (VAT). Navigate to the other VAT-administered pages using the buttons above. For questions, concerns, or to report a non-emergency health/safety issue, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Information over the phone is available at the Lakers Together Call Center (general information) and the 24/7 GVSU-Spectrum COVID Health Line (personal health questions). See the Contact Us page for details and hours of operation.
Overview of data collected and monitored
For our tracking and reporting efforts, the Virus Action Team vigorously monitors data on COVID-19 at the campus, regional, state, and national levels.
- All students, faculty and staff are expected to complete the daily self assessment, including weekends. The assessment is required for those coming to campus.
- We conduct regular and randomized testing of selected campus populations, and provide access to symptomatic/exposure testing through Spectrum Health.
- We track the number of individuals in the GV community who are in quarantine or isolation (on and off campus), and the availability of on-campus Q&I rooms.
- Kent County COVID-19 dashboard and Ottawa County COVID-19 dashboard
- Kent County Overview and Ottawa County Overview, from COVID-19.direct
- Michigan Safe Start Map
- Positive test rates for Michigan, from Johns Hopkins University
- Positive test rates in Kent and other counties (choose page 6 on this site published by Kent County)
- Reopening phases of regions in Michigan, from the Detroit Regional Chamber
- COVID-19 Hospital and PPE Metrics from MDHHS
- COVID-19 Vaccine Dashboard from MDHHS
- National overview from the New York Times (Michigan overview)
- Risk levels by state and county, from Harvard University
- Risk levels by state and county, from Covid Act Now
- COVID-19 dashboards at comparable institutions of higher education