GVSU COVID-19 Data Dashboard
This dashboard is updated weekdays in the afternoon.
Last update was Monday, November 30, 2020, 12:00 p.m.
Grand Valley is committed to transparency of testing and trends of the virus within our entire community of students, faculty and staff – those who live on or off campus. Cases shown in the charts below include data obtained from reports on self-assessment, tests performed at Spectrum Health or the GVSU Campus/Community Health Centers, notifications from Ottawa and Kent County Health Departments, and the GVSU random/regular testing programs.
Daily Confirmed COVID-19 Cases in the GVSU Community
Note: During the period of November 18, 2020 through January 19, 2021, student location will continue to be reported based on the local address provide in the self-assessment or found in the university database, although many students have returned to their hometown.
Current Active and Cumulative Cases in the GVSU Community (Population ~28,000)
"Current active cases" is the count of positive cases reported to the Virus Action Team over the past ten days. This is an estimate of those currently in isolation, assuming a ten day symptomatic period following the reporting of a positive test result. Actual periods of isolation are specific to the individual and determined by the county health department.
A total of 1804 cases have been confirmed in the GV community since August 1st, including 37 Faculty members, 68 Staff, 275 on-campus students, 1014 off-campus students in Ottawa County, 300 off-campus students in Kent County, and 110 students in other/unknown counties.
7-day average of daily cases in the GVSU community
GVSU Testing Program
"GV Surveillance" data are based on invitations to various groups: (1) regular (weekly or bi-weekly) testing of groups such as resident assistants and faculty teaching face-to-face courses; (2) students in specific residence halls or apartment complexes, on a multi-week rotation; (3) targeted testing of specific groups in a given week due to current COVID conditions; and (4) students and staff chosen randomly each week. About 1 in 7 students who are attending at least one course on campus are invited each week. More details are available about the GV testing program. "GV Total" includes surveillance testing plus all symptomatic/exposure tests administered on campus by Spectrum Health. The GV testing program began on August 21, 2020.
GVSU Cases in Ottawa and Kent Counties
COVID-19 Hospital Statistics in West Michigan (Region 6)
This page is maintained by GVSU's Virus Action Team (VAT). Navigate to the other VAT-administered pages using the buttons above. For questions, concerns, or to report a non-emergency health/safety issue, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For general questions contact the Lakers Together Call Center: (616) 331-INFO (4636). For personal health questions, call the 24/7 GVSU COVID Health Line (833) 734-0020.
Notes on the monitoring of data
For our tracking efforts, the Virus Action Team vigorously monitors data on the current spread of COVID-19, and risks of further spread at the national, state, regional, and campus levels.
Collecting data at the Campus Level
- All students, faculty and staff are expected to complete the daily COVID-19 risk self-assessment, including weekends. The assessment is required for those coming to campus.
- We are conducting ongoing testing of selected campus populations, as well as randomized testing (so-called surveillance testing).
- We are tracking the number of individuals in the GV community who are in quarantine or isolation (on- or off-campus).
Data at the National, State, or Regional Level
- Michigan Safe Start Map
- National overview and Michigan overview, from the New York Times
- Risk levels by state and county, from Harvard University
- Risk levels by state and county, from Covid Act Now
- Kent County and Ottawa County overviews, from COVID-19.direct
- Positive test rates for Michigan, from Johns Hopkins University
- Positive test rates in Kent and other counties (choose page 6 on this site published by Kent County)
- Reopening phases of regions in Michigan, from the Detroit Regional Chamber
- COVID-19 dashboards at comparable institutions of higher education
- Archived versions of the GVSU Data Dashboard