STEM OPT | 24 Month Extension of OPT Work Authorization
STEM Extension Application
Students wishing to apply for the OPT STEM Extension must complete the following information and submit it to the OPT STEM PORTAL
- Submit a scanned copy of the I-983 form. This must be completed by you and your supervisor. You should keep the original.
- Your name, current address and phone number
- Your employer's name, address, and E-verify number
- Your Supervisor's name, email address and phone number
- Your job title
- How your position relates to what you studied at GVSU
- Dates of current OPT Authorization
- First date of employment at current employer
Once GVSU receives this information, we will review and process your new I-20. We will send the I-20 to you. Then, you will need to complete the information for your STEM application for USCIS. Please note, it takes between 2 days and 2 weeks to process a new I-20.
STEM Application Checklist
- Completed I-765 form: On # 27 write ( C ) ( 3 ) ( C )
- Completed G-1145 form
- Check or money order for $410.00 (pay to the order of: USCIS)
- Passport photos – 2 please!
- Copies of the following documents: (Keep your originals)
- New I-20
- Passport identification page
- F-1 visa
- I-94 (you probably need to print a copy of your electronic I-94)
- Current EAD Card
Make copies of all the items above including your method of payment and mail your application packet with tracking to this address:
USCIS Chicago Lockbox
U.S. Postal Service (USPS):
PO Box 805373
Chicago, IL 60680
FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:
Attn: I-765 C03
131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517
STEM Employment Reporting
STEM Reporting 6 & 18 Month
Every 6 months, students must submit their I-983 confirming that their SEVIS information correctly identifies their: Legal name, Residential or mailing address, Employer name and address, and Status of current employment.
STEM Validation 12 & 24 month
Every 12 months, students must submit their I-983 form with updated page 5 as well as confirm that their SEVIS information correctly identifies their: Legal name, Residential or mailing address, Employer name and address, and Status of current employment.
STEM Employer Change
Students are permitted to change employers while on STEM OPT. The new employer must be enrolled in E-Verify before the student begins to work for pay. The student must submit a new Form I-983 within 10 days of starting the new practical training opportunity.