GVSU Career Center
For information on what an internship is, where you can find one and how to receive credit for it, please check out the GVSU Career Center.
National Geographic http://education.nationalgeographic.com/programs/ngs-geography-internship/
US Forest Service http://www.fs.fed.us/working-with-us/jobs
City of Ann Arbor GIS Specialist https://a2gov.applicantpro.com/jobs/637874.html
GVSU Geography and Sustainable Planning Internship Coordinator
The Geography and Sustainable Planning Department is looking for a part-time undergraduate student employee.
Duration: Winter, Spring, Fall 2018. Flexible schedule, part-time approximately 250 hours total. Per hour student wage 2-10 hrs per week.
- Work directly with the Unit Head and Office Coordinator to assist the department with collection, databasing, and dissemination information about geography and sustainable planning student internships in West Michigan non-profit sector.
- Maintaining the department database of non-profit community partners and internship providers in geography and sustainable urban and regional planning;
- Regularly filing, posting and mailing internship-related information, updating such information on the department website and social media;
- GIS mapping of internship sites;
- Develop recruitment materials providing students with information about geography internships, emphasizing social and environmental justice.
Essential skills and requirements:
- Enrolled in geography major
- Sophomore or junior standing in Winter semester 2018
- Available to start immediately
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Good GIS mapping skills (GPY200 and GPY307 level or higher)
- Willing and able to travel alone to meetings in the greater Grand Rapids area and around.
How to apply: email of interest with a resume attached to Elena Lioubimtseva email@example.com
GVSU Geography and Sustainable Planning Student Assistant
Hours per Week: 24
Answering phones, running errands on campus, reception work, making photocopies and computer work. Must be able to update website using a content management system. Must be able to professionally interact and post on several social media platforms -facebook, twitter, linked in. Assist with mailings. Assist with department special events including design of promotional materials. Student must be able to start work at the start of the Spring semester- April 30. Priority will be given to students who could continue employment in Fall/Winter.
Requires excellent phone and interpersonal skills. Experience with websites, social media sites, Microsoft office products. Must be able to work independently for lengths of time. Must be able to work Mondays and Fridays 8 AM - 5 PM and Wednesdays 12 PM - 5 PM (starting June 13, Wednesdays would be 8 AM - 5 PM as well). Please only apply for position if you can work the hours listed.
*How to Apply:
Submit a resume, including references and Spring/Summer 2018 class schedule to Amanda Reader at firstname.lastname@example.org. Preference given to applicants with previous campus employment. Work hours will be 8 AM-5 PM Mondays and Fridays and Wednesdays 12 - 5 PM (starting June 13, Wednesdays would be 8 AM - 5 PM as well). Work location will be Mackinaw Hall.
Professional Media Managment Part-Time GIS
The ideal candidate is an upper-level GVSU student who has experience in ArcGIS mapping, Microsoft Access relational databases and marketing or business. The position will lean most heavily on mapping and GIS components, but PMM’s proprietary Access database will be used in conjunction to complete client projects. Supplemental classes in marketing and/or business are strongly preferred.
This position will be part-time, approximately 12-18 hours per week with option for more depending on project workload. It is an on-site position, located at Professional Media Management’s corporate office, 528 Bridge St NW, Suite #7, Grand Rapids, MI 49504.
- Junior or senior standing
- Knowledge of ArcGIS Mapping and GIS principles
- Some Knowledge of Access relational databases
- Experience in Business or marketing classes
PMM is located blocks away from Downtown Grand Rapids Campus.
Looking to fill position quickly, projected starting date of March 5th, interviews to be conducted week of 2/26/2018.
Part Time positions have a high propensity of evolving into full time positions based on performance.
Please submit your resume and available time to interview the week of 2/26/2018 to Cody Stricker at CStricker@professionalmediamanagement.com
Ordinance Enforcement Officer-Dexter Township
Dexter Township has an opening for an Ordinance Enforcement Officer. This part-time position, under the supervision of
the Director of Planning and Zoning, requires office and field work and good computer and interpersonal skills.
Candidates are expected to have basic knowledge of code enforcement, site inspection, and record keeping. The
incumbent is expected to learn and apply Township Ordinances, interpret ordinances for members of the public, compile
technical information, and review zoning permit applications.
Dexter Township, located in Washtenaw County between the Cities of Dexter and Chelsea, provides rural living, lake
living, and suburban living for more than 6,000 residents, just minutes northwest of Ann Arbor. The Township has active
agriculture and has encouraged open space communities that preserve natural areas. It is home to the Hudson Mills
Metropark, the Pinckney State Recreation Area, the Chelsea State Game Area, the Washtenaw County West Lake Nature
Preserve, several full-sport lakes, the Huron River, and the University of Michigan’s Peach Mountain Observatory.
The full job posting and description can be found on www.dextertownship.org.
Materials should be sent to email@example.com or by mail to Dexter Township c/o Director of Planning and Zoning,
6880 Dexter-Pinckney, Dexter, MI 48130.
Initial review of applications will begin on March 19, 2018.
Grand Valley Metropolitan Council - REGIS Programming/GIS Paid Internship
Grand Valley Metropolitan Council is looking for an intern to help maintain and program Internet mapping applications for desktop browsers and mobile devices in support of the Regional GIS (REGIS) as well as other internal GVMC departments. Applicants should have programming experience and aptitude. Candidates in the final year of a bachelor’s degree are preferred. Experience in: C#, VB, and Java script is required. Individual may also be called upon to perform other GIS related tasks, such as data entry and analysis.
This is a paid internship and available immediately with a possible conversion to full-time. Interested applicants should immediately send their resumes and queries to GVMC’s Human Resource Director Gayle McCrath, firstname.lastname@example.org
Company Profile: Successful consultancy expanding into new local government
communities and in need of support to provide professional planning and zoning
consultation to townships, cities, villages and private individuals.
Type: Part-time, as needed, independent contractor (1099)
Experience: Minimum of one (1) year in local government community planning and zoning.
Education: Bachelor's in Public Administration, Urban Planning or related field is preferred.
Familiarity with the Michigan Zoning Enabling Act, Michigan Planning Enabling Act,
Michigan Condominium Act, Michigan Land Division Act and other related local
government acts is preferred.
Description: The ideal associate will provide support to townships and other local
government communities by assisting Planning Commissions, Zoning Board of Appeals and
other Boards, as assigned, through application review, related analysis and
recommendation. Must be able to attend evening meetings. Candidate shall be available
by phone and email during normal business hours of assigned clients in order to provide
various support to the township or other governmental agency. High quality of service is
imperative. Potential for additional responsibilities and professional career growth as
company grows. Must possess personal computer, tablet or other device compatible with
Microsoft Office and capable of drafting numerous documents in a reasonable time.
Compensation: Hourly pay rate commensurate with experience. Position provides for a
flexible work opportunity. No office presence is required and the work is independently
mobile. Mileage reimbursement provided. Currently, no other benefits are offered.
To Apply: Email cover letter and resume to: Gregory L. Ransford, MPA at
email@example.com. Open until filled.
Global Mapping Strategies
Global Mapping Strategies is in need of a new associate.
In addition to GIS mapping skills, any of the experience below would be very helpful:
• Intermediate SQL (joins, unions, grouping, expressions, etc.)
• Internet Data Extraction experience
• Visual Basic and/or Python experience
• Experience with any GIS/CAD programs
• Internet savvy finding international data resources
• Intermediate Excel and Access skills along with reporting solutions
GMS is a nimble and fast growing firm with lots of opportunity. We help clients turn data into useful information by linking digital maps to their databases of customers, competitors and demographics.
We have opportunities for people beginning their careers and those considering a change in their career. GMS has work opportunities in Dearborn and Harper Woods.
GMS Business Manager
Allegan County Infrastructure Management
Allegan County is expanding its Health Department staff and is hiring for several new vacancies dealing with the county infrastructure management . These positions include issuing permits, and site inspections, and completing documentation for water wells, septic systems, and soil erosion / sedimentation control. For more information, please, see
If you have any questions, contact Brandon Jongkind, REHS, Environmental Health Specialist
Allegan County Health Department
3255 122nd Avenue Suite 200
Allegan, MI 49010
Phone: (269) 686-4501
Fax: (269) 673-4172
Cannon Township Zoning Administrator
Cannon Township is a growing residential community north of Grand Rapids. Its rolling hills, lakes and rivers, tree-lined roads, and abundant public and private recreational amenities make the Township an attractive and highly desirable place to live. The Township is seeking an experienced full-time zoning administrator who possesses the ability to balance enforcement to ensure the continued high quality development with a positive, customer-friendly attitude.
Successful candidates will have:
- High school graduation; associates degree or higher preferred
- Three (3) to five (5) years experience in local zoning administration
- Valid Michigan driver’s license o Knowledge of the structure, policies, and regulations of municipal government
Skills & Abilities
- Customer-friendly, service-oriented, diplomatic
- Strong oral and written communication
- Detail oriented o Ability to work independently
- Be proactive
- Proficient with Microsoft Windows/Office Word and Excel, the Internet, and GIS mapping software
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Review plans and applications
- Respond to public inquiries
- Maintain files
- Serve as secretary to the Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals
- Update forms
- Perform inspections
- Enforce zoning regulations
- Coordinate Township watershed management program
Cannon Township is an equal opportunity employer, offering an excellent wage and benefits package, great working conditions, and the opportunity to be professionally challenged and grow. Wages will be dependent on qualifications and experience. Submit resume and a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Stantec’s Urban Places: Urban Planning Intern
Job Location: Boston-MA-US
Number of Positions: 1
Discipline: Community Development
We design downtown revitalization plans, resiliency plans,
transportation corridors, streetscapes, and transit-oriented
developments. Stantec’s Urban Places is the place where great
ideas and rewarding careers happen. Our highly experienced,
multi-disciplinary team specializes in urban design; integration of
architecture, street design, public space design, and sustainability
with urban planning; bicycle, and pedestrian-oriented planning. We
connect the people, places, and resources that take a project from
concept to reality.
Interns are be encouraged to develop their skills while supporting
our team with new project proposals, existing conditions analysis,
concept design, and production of analysis and presentation
documents, and project presentation graphics.
Applicant should be a current student or recent graduate of an
accredited Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree urban architecture or
urban planning oriented program. We are seeking interns with
excellent design, graphic, computer, writing, and technical skills,
and who are self-motivated and passionate about design. The ideal
candidate should have strong time management, critical thinking,
and organizational skills, and have the ability to work with others,
as well as independently. Experience with AutoCAD, Microsoft
Office, SketchUp, and the Adobe Creative Suite is essential.
Visit stantec.jobs and search “Urban Planning Intern” to apply!
Full applications must be received by MARCH 16, 2018
Holland Board of Public Works: GIS Internship
Reports to: Superintendent of Water/Wastewater Services
Job Summary: This position is responsible for updating information within the BPW's GIS databases under the supervision of the GIS Analyst and the Superintendent of Water/Wastewater Services.
- Update infrastructure data in GIS by interpreting as-built data, service cards, or other verbal/written input.
- Utilize ArcGIS Pro/Desktop to update geometry and attribute data.
- Independently problem solve and research known solutions.
- Analyze GIS data to generate reports, metrics, and maps to show progress of maintenance and capital projects.
- Develop easy to interpret maps of utility infrastructure for use internally and externally.
- Provide utility GIS information in various formats as requested by end users - internal and external.
- Collect accurate field data following safety requirements and data collection procedures.
- Perform all other tasks assigned.
- Currently pursuing a bachelor's degree in Geography, Engineering, Computer Science, Surveying, Urban Planning, or related field.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to communicate with various levels of organizational personnel.
- Previous experience with ESRI's ArcGIS Pro/Desktop application.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Normal office environment with minimum discomfort due to noise, dirt and dust.
- Mental ability to frequently handle pressures related to working on projects requiring attention to detail, and the simultaneous management of multiple projects.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this position. It is not construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties assigned or required of this position.
Apply at hollandbpw.com by clicking in the banner on Careers -> Employment Opportunities -> Apply Now
Or by navigating directly to https://www.hollandbpw.com/careers/employment-opportunities/forms
GRACE Project Intern Champions
GRACE Project Intern Champions will recruit and support students who want to qualify for paid internships as part of this National Science Foundation Project. GRACE Project Intern Champions must have a basic working knowledge of GIS and be able to assist potential GRACE Interns with completing the required web-based learning activities, tutorials, and lessons in time for a Summer 2018 placement.
1. Complete the ESRI Virtual Campus course: “GIS in the Classroom: Teaching with GIS” and submit your “Certificate of Completion”
2. Maintain familiarity with all elements of the NSFgrace.net website
3. Recruit/Identify potential student interns candidates
4. Support 3 – 10 student intern candidates
5. Check in with student intern candidates regularly
6. Assist candidates in accessing and using all relevant sites included in their training
7. Assist with downloading and registering ESRI Desktop software
8. Assist candidates with registering and logging into your school ArcGIS Online Organization (AGOO) Account
9. Assist candidates when they encounter roadblocks in training requirements
10. Work with GRACE Project Intern Facilitators to identify potential GIS Intern Supervisors in the local community where the GRACE Interns Candidates might be placed
11. Submit a monthly Student Status Log to the GRACE Internship Team to document the progress and completion of internship candidate preparation activities.
$100.00 – for assisting each GRACE Intern candidate through completion of ALL required web-based learning experiences, tutorials, and lessons to become eligible for internship placement.
Please send an email to Dr. Peggy Gaskill, GRACE Teacher PD Program Manager at email@example.com Include your NAME, EMAIL ADDRESS, TELEPHONE NUMBER, SCHOOL, SCHOOL DISTRICT. There will be a phone interview and required orientation conducted by members of the GRACE Team. Application deadline March 5, 2018.
Expectations for GRACE Student Intern Candidates
- Register as a GRACE Intern candidate http://www.nsfgrace.net/helpdesk/index.php
- Download and install ESRI ArcGIS Pro software.
- Register and login to an ESRI ArcGIS Online Organization (AGOO) account
- Complete ESRI web-based learning experiences, tutorials, and lessons as described on the NSFgrace.net website
- Submit course completion certificates
- Work with a GRACE Intern Champion to identify potential GIS intern supervisors in the local community.
- As a GRACE Intern candidate, participate in an interview with a GIS professional
- If accepted, GRACE Interns will complete a 120 hour internship
- Upon completion of the Internship, GRACE Interns will receive a $1200.00 stipend
- Through completion of courses and the intern experience, GRACE Interns may be adequately prepared to consider sitting for a GIS Technician Certification exam.
GRACE Project Student Interns
GRACE Project is recruiting high school students to participate this Summer, 2018, in the GIS (Geographical Information System) Internship Program. GRACE PROJECT provides students with professional GIS/T training and opportunities to gain work experiences in local organizations as Interns. Students will have access to ESRI Virtual Campus for their online learning activities.
This is a paid internship ($1,200) within a student’s own community. Students who are interested in GRACE Internship Program can register as a GRACE Intern candidate at http://www.nsfgrace.net/helpdesk/index.php. If you have questions about GRACE student internship program, send email to Allison Hoff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ada Township Parks & Recreation Internship
Title: Internship: Parks & Recreation - 2018
Reports to: Director, Parks & Recreation Department
Positions Supervised: No staff supervision. To assist other staff and volunteers.
Broad Statement of Responsibilities:
This is a seasonal position, May through August 2018, set up as an Internship
experience. The Intern will assist the Ada Township Parks & Recreation Department in
facilitating a variety of outdoor recreation and education programs along with natural
resource management and maintenance needs in the Township parks and preserves.
A significant part of the work is outdoors, on weekdays between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and
4:00 p.m., with an occasional Saturday. Compensation: hourly wage.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
1. Assist with planning and implementing outdoor recreation and education programs and
services for youth, families and adults.
2. Assist with the instruction and supervision of program participants.
3. Assist with the registration and data management of recreation program participants.
4. Assist with the marketing and promotions of recreation and education programs.
5. Assist with maintenance projects, grounds upkeep, stewardship work, gardens and
landscaping in Township parks and preserves.
6. Assist visitors in the parks, park office and program participants as needed.
7. Work with and assist volunteers in a positive and productive manner.
8. Cleaning of park and office facilities as needed.
9. Performs other tasks as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. General knowledge of and interest in natural resources, parks, recreation, leisure services
and/or environmental education.
2. Ability to work in outdoor conditions including diverse weather, insects and plants.
Ability to move across rough terrain and work manual landscaping tools.
3. Working knowledge of computers and current software.
4. Applicant should be enrolled in a related college degree program or have graduated with a
5. Professional work ethic and demonstrated ability to work with others in a positive manner;
ability to work independently, adhere to schedules and deadlines.
1. Interested applicants need to submit a cover letter, resume and references to:
Mark Fitzpatrick, Director, Ada Township Parks & Recreation Department
P.O. Box 370, 7330 Thornapple River Dr., Ada, MI 49301 or via email at
2. Applicants need to complete an Ada Township application form and participate in an
3. Applicants need to submit to their own college for credits.
Contact: Mark Fitzpatrick at 616-676-0520 or email@example.com for details.
Principal Environmental Planner
Coordinates and develops policy on environmental planning; provides comprehensive planning assistance for City neighborhoods relative to environmental planning; ties environmental planning goals to zoning and land use regulations, conducts development and design reviews; encourages citizen participation in environmental planning; serves as information liaison between City government and the community.
Agency: City of Pittsburgh
Address: 414 Grant Street, Room 431, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 15219.
Senior Environmental Planner
Provides comprehensive planning assistance for City neighborhoods; conducts development and design reviews; encourages citizen participation; serves as information liaison between City government and the community.
Agency: City of Pittsburgh
Address: 414 Grant Street, Room 431, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 15219.
Charlevoix County GIS Summer Intern
Charlevoix County Employment Opportunity:
GIS Summer Intern
Position: The Charlevoix County Equalization Department is looking for a part time, summer intern to work under the supervision of the Assistant Equalization Director, with assistance and direction from the GIS Coordinator. This paid position will run from the late May until late August. The intern will assist the GIS coordinator in completing new or ongoing GIS projects being requested by the Equalization Department. They will also assist the Equalization Department with answering phones and helping the public when full time Equalization staff are unavailable. Candidate must be enrolled in, or have completed, post-secondary education in GIS or a closely related program. Candidate must possess knowledge of GIS principles and be familiar with ESRI ArcGIS Desktop. The ability to read and understand legal descriptions is preferred.
Physical requirements: This position requires sitting or standing for extended periods of time at a single work station, and the ability to traverse from one work location and/or office to another multiple times per day. Applicants must possess the physical ability to twist, bend and flex in order to facilitate the handling of large maps and documents in conjunction with printing and filing. This position also requires the knowledge of and physical ability to use all standardly accepted forms of office equipment and supplies. Must be able to lift a minimum of 20 pounds.
Application: Please submit cover letter, resume, and completed Charlevoix County job application (available on the employment opportunities page of www.charlevoixcounty.org) AS ONE PACKAGE. Complete application package can be submitted via email, in person, or by mail or courier.
301 State St.
Charlevoix, MI 49720