GVSU Career Center
For information on what an internship is, where you can find one and how to receive credit for it, please check out the GVSU Career Center.
National Geographic http://education.nationalgeographic.com/programs/ngs-geography-internship/
US Forest Service http://www.fs.fed.us/working-with-us/jobs
City of Ann Arbor GIS Specialist https://a2gov.applicantpro.com/jobs/637874.html
GIS Student Intern - Transformation Research & Analysis Team
GIS Student Intern - Transformation Research & Analysis Team
Organization Name:GVSU Sustainability Office
Hours per Week:24
*Job Description:BACKGROUND: The Transformation Research & Analysis Team is the result of a partnership between the City of Grand Rapids and Grand Valley State University’s Office of Sustainability Practices.
The Grand Rapids Parks, Recreation and Forestry Department invites applications for a GIS internship position. The selected applicant will work in the Parks, Cemetery and Forestry Data Management Area.
LOCATION: City of Grand Rapids
PROJECTS: Under the supervision of the Parks Superintendent, students will work in the field with a GPS unit and laptop to gather and update Forest Canopy data throughout the City. Specifically, Street, Park & Cemetery trees will be assessed to assist City Staff in creating a robust asset management plan and ensure data integrity throughout the City’s Park System. You will not only gain experience gathering data, you will learn how to check-out data, post-process data and you will learn how to create maps from the data that is created.
Duties: Responsibilities include collecting, verifying, and digitizing or scanning point and polygon data related to Park, Cemetery and street trees within the City of Grand Rapids. A key component of the work will be the documentation of all work processes including input of appropriate metadata for data collected. Additional duties might include crosschecking information for accuracy; entering and editing information into a GIS or database system.
The selected applicant will be introduced to a real-world GIS operation utilizing the latest ESRI’s GIS technology. These positions provide an excellent opportunity to learn about GIS in Michigan; the creation, maintenance, and use of large-scale database/GIS projects; and offer invaluable experience necessary for employment.
If you decide to pursue this opportunity as a credit-bearing internship, you will need to get approval from your academic department prior to the start of the academic semester in which you wish to register for the internship.
Qualifications:Requirements: Applicants must be enrolled in 6 or more credits.
Preference will be given to individuals who have taken college courses in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and who have experience with ArcGIS Desktop software.
*How to Apply:Please send a cover letter and resume to Joe Sulak firstname.lastname@example.org, and cc Sharon Munski email@example.com.
The Michigan Department of Transportation’s Statewide Model Unit currently has three openings for three students.
Link to job description details: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/michigan?sort=PostingDate%7CDescending.
Sort by department (Transportation) and look for this job listing…Student Assistant - Statewide Model Unit.
THIS IS A NON-CAREER APPOINTMENT THAT IS LIMITED TO 129 HOURS PER MONTH
Provide assistance to professional transportation planners in meeting the responsibilities of the Statewide and Urban Travel Analysis (SUTA) Section. This includes a variety of tasks related to travel trend analysis, present and future travel forecasts, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and its applications, travel demand modeling applications, collection and analysis of socioeconomic and land use data, and development of documentation and presentation materials. Persons in this position assist senior staff with the provision of data for determining transportation needs required by federal regulations for Michigan and Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPO), long-range plans, regional plans, MPO and State Transportation Improvement Programs, transportation performance measures, and air quality conformity analysis required by the Clean Air Act Amendment.
Please see the position description for a more detailed review of student duties and the position closure date.
Grand Valley Metropolitan Council - REGIS Programming/GIS Paid Internship
Grand Valley Metropolitan Council is looking for an intern to help maintain and program Internet mapping applications for desktop browsers and mobile devices in support of the Regional GIS (REGIS) as well as other internal GVMC departments. Applicants should have programming experience and aptitude. Candidates in the final year of a bachelor’s degree are preferred. Experience in: C#, VB, and Java script is required. Individual may also be called upon to perform other GIS related tasks, such as data entry and analysis.
This is a paid internship and available immediately with a possible conversion to full-time. Interested applicants should immediately send their resumes and queries to GVMC’s Human Resource Director Gayle McCrath, firstname.lastname@example.org
Company Profile: Successful consultancy expanding into new local government
communities and in need of support to provide professional planning and zoning
consultation to townships, cities, villages and private individuals.
Type: Part-time, as needed, independent contractor (1099)
Experience: Minimum of one (1) year in local government community planning and zoning.
Education: Bachelor's in Public Administration, Urban Planning or related field is preferred.
Familiarity with the Michigan Zoning Enabling Act, Michigan Planning Enabling Act,
Michigan Condominium Act, Michigan Land Division Act and other related local
government acts is preferred.
Description: The ideal associate will provide support to townships and other local
government communities by assisting Planning Commissions, Zoning Board of Appeals and
other Boards, as assigned, through application review, related analysis and
recommendation. Must be able to attend evening meetings. Candidate shall be available
by phone and email during normal business hours of assigned clients in order to provide
various support to the township or other governmental agency. High quality of service is
imperative. Potential for additional responsibilities and professional career growth as
company grows. Must possess personal computer, tablet or other device compatible with
Microsoft Office and capable of drafting numerous documents in a reasonable time.
Compensation: Hourly pay rate commensurate with experience. Position provides for a
flexible work opportunity. No office presence is required and the work is independently
mobile. Mileage reimbursement provided. Currently, no other benefits are offered.
To Apply: Email cover letter and resume to: Gregory L. Ransford, MPA at
email@example.com. Open until filled.
Global Mapping Strategies
Global Mapping Strategies is in need of a new associate.
In addition to GIS mapping skills, any of the experience below would be very helpful:
• Intermediate SQL (joins, unions, grouping, expressions, etc.)
• Internet Data Extraction experience
• Visual Basic and/or Python experience
• Experience with any GIS/CAD programs
• Internet savvy finding international data resources
• Intermediate Excel and Access skills along with reporting solutions
GMS is a nimble and fast growing firm with lots of opportunity. We help clients turn data into useful information by linking digital maps to their databases of customers, competitors and demographics.
We have opportunities for people beginning their careers and those considering a change in their career. GMS has work opportunities in Dearborn and Harper Woods.
GMS Business Manager
Cannon Township Zoning Administrator
Cannon Township is a growing residential community north of Grand Rapids. Its rolling hills, lakes and rivers, tree-lined roads, and abundant public and private recreational amenities make the Township an attractive and highly desirable place to live. The Township is seeking an experienced full-time zoning administrator who possesses the ability to balance enforcement to ensure the continued high quality development with a positive, customer-friendly attitude.
Successful candidates will have:
- High school graduation; associates degree or higher preferred
- Three (3) to five (5) years experience in local zoning administration
- Valid Michigan driver’s license o Knowledge of the structure, policies, and regulations of municipal government
Skills & Abilities
- Customer-friendly, service-oriented, diplomatic
- Strong oral and written communication
- Detail oriented o Ability to work independently
- Be proactive
- Proficient with Microsoft Windows/Office Word and Excel, the Internet, and GIS mapping software
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Review plans and applications
- Respond to public inquiries
- Maintain files
- Serve as secretary to the Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals
- Update forms
- Perform inspections
- Enforce zoning regulations
- Coordinate Township watershed management program
Cannon Township is an equal opportunity employer, offering an excellent wage and benefits package, great working conditions, and the opportunity to be professionally challenged and grow. Wages will be dependent on qualifications and experience. Submit resume and a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Holland Board of Public Works: GIS Internship
Reports to: Superintendent of Water/Wastewater Services
Job Summary: This position is responsible for updating information within the BPW's GIS databases under the supervision of the GIS Analyst and the Superintendent of Water/Wastewater Services.
- Update infrastructure data in GIS by interpreting as-built data, service cards, or other verbal/written input.
- Utilize ArcGIS Pro/Desktop to update geometry and attribute data.
- Independently problem solve and research known solutions.
- Analyze GIS data to generate reports, metrics, and maps to show progress of maintenance and capital projects.
- Develop easy to interpret maps of utility infrastructure for use internally and externally.
- Provide utility GIS information in various formats as requested by end users - internal and external.
- Collect accurate field data following safety requirements and data collection procedures.
- Perform all other tasks assigned.
- Currently pursuing a bachelor's degree in Geography, Engineering, Computer Science, Surveying, Urban Planning, or related field.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to communicate with various levels of organizational personnel.
- Previous experience with ESRI's ArcGIS Pro/Desktop application.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Normal office environment with minimum discomfort due to noise, dirt and dust.
- Mental ability to frequently handle pressures related to working on projects requiring attention to detail, and the simultaneous management of multiple projects.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this position. It is not construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties assigned or required of this position.
Apply at hollandbpw.com by clicking in the banner on Careers -> Employment Opportunities -> Apply Now
Or by navigating directly to https://www.hollandbpw.com/careers/employment-opportunities/forms
GRACE Project Student Interns
GRACE Project is recruiting high school students to participate this Summer, 2018, in the GIS (Geographical Information System) Internship Program. GRACE PROJECT provides students with professional GIS/T training and opportunities to gain work experiences in local organizations as Interns. Students will have access to ESRI Virtual Campus for their online learning activities.
This is a paid internship ($1,200) within a student’s own community. Students who are interested in GRACE Internship Program can register as a GRACE Intern candidate at http://www.nsfgrace.net/helpdesk/index.php. If you have questions about GRACE student internship program, send email to Allison Hoff at email@example.com.
Ada Township Parks & Recreation Internship
Title: Internship: Parks & Recreation - 2018
Reports to: Director, Parks & Recreation Department
Positions Supervised: No staff supervision. To assist other staff and volunteers.
Broad Statement of Responsibilities:
This is a seasonal position, May through August 2018, set up as an Internship
experience. The Intern will assist the Ada Township Parks & Recreation Department in
facilitating a variety of outdoor recreation and education programs along with natural
resource management and maintenance needs in the Township parks and preserves.
A significant part of the work is outdoors, on weekdays between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and
4:00 p.m., with an occasional Saturday. Compensation: hourly wage.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
1. Assist with planning and implementing outdoor recreation and education programs and
services for youth, families and adults.
2. Assist with the instruction and supervision of program participants.
3. Assist with the registration and data management of recreation program participants.
4. Assist with the marketing and promotions of recreation and education programs.
5. Assist with maintenance projects, grounds upkeep, stewardship work, gardens and
landscaping in Township parks and preserves.
6. Assist visitors in the parks, park office and program participants as needed.
7. Work with and assist volunteers in a positive and productive manner.
8. Cleaning of park and office facilities as needed.
9. Performs other tasks as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. General knowledge of and interest in natural resources, parks, recreation, leisure services
and/or environmental education.
2. Ability to work in outdoor conditions including diverse weather, insects and plants.
Ability to move across rough terrain and work manual landscaping tools.
3. Working knowledge of computers and current software.
4. Applicant should be enrolled in a related college degree program or have graduated with a
5. Professional work ethic and demonstrated ability to work with others in a positive manner;
ability to work independently, adhere to schedules and deadlines.
1. Interested applicants need to submit a cover letter, resume and references to:
Mark Fitzpatrick, Director, Ada Township Parks & Recreation Department
P.O. Box 370, 7330 Thornapple River Dr., Ada, MI 49301 or via email at
2. Applicants need to complete an Ada Township application form and participate in an
3. Applicants need to submit to their own college for credits.
Contact: Mark Fitzpatrick at 616-676-0520 or firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Principal Environmental Planner
Coordinates and develops policy on environmental planning; provides comprehensive planning assistance for City neighborhoods relative to environmental planning; ties environmental planning goals to zoning and land use regulations, conducts development and design reviews; encourages citizen participation in environmental planning; serves as information liaison between City government and the community.
Agency: City of Pittsburgh
Address: 414 Grant Street, Room 431, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 15219.
Senior Environmental Planner
Provides comprehensive planning assistance for City neighborhoods; conducts development and design reviews; encourages citizen participation; serves as information liaison between City government and the community.
Agency: City of Pittsburgh
Address: 414 Grant Street, Room 431, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 15219.
Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park
The Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park is currently looking for enthusiastic individuals to join their team in a variety of positions, including full-time, part-time, seasonal positions and internships.
Please visit meijergardens.org/contact/careers/ for more information.
Ottawa County Innovation & Technology Department Summer Internship
Under the general direction of the GIS Supervisor and the GIS System Analyst, assists in basic duties related to the county's GIS historical imagery conversion.
This internship has been approved for up to 400 hours, with a flexible schedule, for the summer term (approx. May 1, 2018 - August 31, 2018) located at the Fillmore Complex in West Olive, MI.
Essential Job Functions
The essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assists in the scanning of historical images using large format scanner.
- Assists in the cropping, georeferencing, and mosaicing of images using ArcGIS for Desktop.
- Performs other functions as assigned.
Required Education, Training and Experience
Currently enrolled in a college or university, preferably at a junior or senior status. Class work from an institution that offers computer science, geographic information systems, geography, information technology, civil engineering, cartography or closely related field.
Additional Requirements and Information
The qualified candidate will have the following knowledge and skills:
- Basic knowledge of aerial imagery.
- Basic knowledge of applications in ESRI 10.x software including ArcGIS Desktop, ArcCatalog, ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Server preferred but not required.
- Basic knowledge of image editing software.
- Ability to interact positively and objectively with department directors, elected officials, coworkers, end-users, user committees, vendors, and internal and external clients from a wide range of cultural and socio-economic backgrounds and with varying levels of technical knowledge and skills.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
Must be able to perform essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodations, including, but not limited to, visual and/or audiological appliances and devices to increase mobility.
Work is performed in a normal office environment.
Fulbright U.S. Student Program
The Fulbright U.S. Student Program for 2019-2020 has opened their application. This program has a variety of opportunities. If interested, please fill out this form, and contact the GVSU Frederik Meijer Office of Fellowships at email@example.com.
- Graduating seniors
- Recent graduates
- Early career professionals
- Including creative and performing arts/musicians
- US citizen by the application deadline
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent by start of grant
- English Teaching Assistant (ETA)
- Graduate Study Program
- Independent Research/Study
- Study/Research Grant
- 950+ Awards
- ~140 Countries
- Fully funded graduate degrees
- Conduct independent study or creative/arts projects abroad
- English Teaching Assistantship
- 1200+ Awards
- ~75 Countries
- Help teach English/U.S. culture in a classroom abroad for 8-10 months
- Campus deadline: August 31, 2018
- National deadline: October 9, 2018
Ada Township Park Maintenance Position
Ada Township is seeking a qualified candidate for to help maintain the Township's parks, preserves, trails and recreation facilities. This is a full-time position with the Township's Parks & Recreation Department.
The full position description is attached or can be downloaded in a pdf format at: http://adamichigan.org/township/government/job-postings
Beginning compensation for this position is $39,832, plus a full benefit package.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to be received by email or hard copy no later than Wednesday, May 30, 2018 to:
George Haga, Township Supervisor
PO Box 370
Ada, MI 49301
Planning Intern: Community and Neighborhood Services
Part-time, paid internship available for a current or recent Urban and Regional Planning /Sustainability Planning graduate student or senior undergraduate student this summer. This is an exciting opportunity to work closely with the Senior Planner and be part of a dynamic and innovative team. The position would enable you to apply your learning in the real-world and help the City of Holland meet its ever increasing development. Projects will include Master Plan analysis and developing an implementation plan to make the Plan a reality; working with the Planner and Consultant on rewriting the City’s Zoning Ordinance and incorporating Form-Based Code elements; developing a Redevelopment Ready Communities (RRC) project implementation plan for state funding; assisting on creating a public planning process; and other assignments as needed. Certainly you’ll be able to learn and hone your skills in ArcGIS, site plan review, and long and short-term planning techniques and experience first-hand how planners aid a City and how exciting of a time this is for the planning profession.
Location: City Hall | Holland, MI | Planning
Days Worked: Mon., Tue., Wed., Thu., Fri.,
Open Until: June 22, 2018 at 05:00 PM EST
Job Status: Part-Time
Rate of Pay: $11 - $12
Details: 25 hours per week - Flexible on time between 8am-5pm