GVSU Career Center
For information on what an internship is, where you can find one and how to receive credit for it, please check out the GVSU Career Center.
National Geographic http://education.nationalgeographic.com/programs/ngs-geography-internship/
US Forest Service http://www.fs.fed.us/working-with-us/jobs
City of Ann Arbor GIS Specialist https://a2gov.applicantpro.com/jobs/637874.html
Grand Valley Metropolitan Council - REGIS Programming/GIS Paid Internship
Grand Valley Metropolitan Council is looking for an intern to help maintain and program Internet mapping applications for desktop browsers and mobile devices in support of the Regional GIS (REGIS) as well as other internal GVMC departments. Applicants should have programming experience and aptitude. Candidates in the final year of a bachelor’s degree are preferred. Experience in: C#, VB, and Java script is required. Individual may also be called upon to perform other GIS related tasks, such as data entry and analysis.
This is a paid internship and available immediately with a possible conversion to full-time. Interested applicants should immediately send their resumes and queries to GVMC’s Human Resource Director Gayle McCrath, firstname.lastname@example.org
Company Profile: Successful consultancy expanding into new local government
communities and in need of support to provide professional planning and zoning
consultation to townships, cities, villages and private individuals.
Type: Part-time, as needed, independent contractor (1099)
Experience: Minimum of one (1) year in local government community planning and zoning.
Education: Bachelor's in Public Administration, Urban Planning or related field is preferred.
Familiarity with the Michigan Zoning Enabling Act, Michigan Planning Enabling Act,
Michigan Condominium Act, Michigan Land Division Act and other related local
government acts is preferred.
Description: The ideal associate will provide support to townships and other local
government communities by assisting Planning Commissions, Zoning Board of Appeals and
other Boards, as assigned, through application review, related analysis and
recommendation. Must be able to attend evening meetings. Candidate shall be available
by phone and email during normal business hours of assigned clients in order to provide
various support to the township or other governmental agency. High quality of service is
imperative. Potential for additional responsibilities and professional career growth as
company grows. Must possess personal computer, tablet or other device compatible with
Microsoft Office and capable of drafting numerous documents in a reasonable time.
Compensation: Hourly pay rate commensurate with experience. Position provides for a
flexible work opportunity. No office presence is required and the work is independently
mobile. Mileage reimbursement provided. Currently, no other benefits are offered.
To Apply: Email cover letter and resume to: Gregory L. Ransford, MPA at
email@example.com. Open until filled.
Global Mapping Strategies
Global Mapping Strategies is in need of a new associate.
In addition to GIS mapping skills, any of the experience below would be very helpful:
• Intermediate SQL (joins, unions, grouping, expressions, etc.)
• Internet Data Extraction experience
• Visual Basic and/or Python experience
• Experience with any GIS/CAD programs
• Internet savvy finding international data resources
• Intermediate Excel and Access skills along with reporting solutions
GMS is a nimble and fast growing firm with lots of opportunity. We help clients turn data into useful information by linking digital maps to their databases of customers, competitors and demographics.
We have opportunities for people beginning their careers and those considering a change in their career. GMS has work opportunities in Dearborn and Harper Woods.
GMS Business Manager
SEAS Doris Duke Conservation Scholars Program at University of Michigan
Doris Duke Conservation Scholars are eager to be immersed in an experiential learning program that incorporates diversity and inclusion into their understanding of conservation practices.
Why DDCSP at University of Michigan?
• Create mentoring relationships with University of Michigan faculty and researchers
• Network and develop relationships with the conservation and environmental community of Ann Arbor, Detroit, and the rest of Southeast Michigan
• Explore connections between conservation, social justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion
• Connect with other undergraduates passionate about conservation and the environment
• $4,250-$5,200 stipend, plus room and board, and round-trip travel to and from Ann Arbor
• Travel to field sites around Michigan
• Eight-week conservation-focused research and internship opportunity (for two consecutive years)
• Community service activities in Ann Arbor, Detroit, or Flint.
Program Dates: June 2 – July 28, 2017
Application available: November 13, 2017
Application deadline: January 31, 2018
For more information and application materials please visit:
Allegan County Infrastructure Management
Allegan County is expanding its Health Department staff and is hiring for several new vacancies dealing with the county infrastructure management . These positions include issuing permits, and site inspections, and completing documentation for water wells, septic systems, and soil erosion / sedimentation control. For more information, please, see
If you have any questions, contact Brandon Jongkind, REHS, Environmental Health Specialist
Allegan County Health Department
3255 122nd Avenue Suite 200
Allegan, MI 49010
Phone: (269) 686-4501
Fax: (269) 673-4172
Cannon Township Zoning Administrator
Cannon Township is a growing residential community north of Grand Rapids. Its rolling hills, lakes and rivers, tree-lined roads, and abundant public and private recreational amenities make the Township an attractive and highly desirable place to live. The Township is seeking an experienced full-time zoning administrator who possesses the ability to balance enforcement to ensure the continued high quality development with a positive, customer-friendly attitude.
Successful candidates will have:
- High school graduation; associates degree or higher preferred
- Three (3) to five (5) years experience in local zoning administration
- Valid Michigan driver’s license o Knowledge of the structure, policies, and regulations of municipal government
Skills & Abilities
- Customer-friendly, service-oriented, diplomatic
- Strong oral and written communication
- Detail oriented o Ability to work independently
- Be proactive
- Proficient with Microsoft Windows/Office Word and Excel, the Internet, and GIS mapping software
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Review plans and applications
- Respond to public inquiries
- Maintain files
- Serve as secretary to the Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals
- Update forms
- Perform inspections
- Enforce zoning regulations
- Coordinate Township watershed management program
Cannon Township is an equal opportunity employer, offering an excellent wage and benefits package, great working conditions, and the opportunity to be professionally challenged and grow. Wages will be dependent on qualifications and experience. Submit resume and a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org