Geography and Sustainable Planning, B.A., B.S.
Geography and Sustainable Planning offers students the 21st century skillsets helping to solve complex environmental, economic and social problems such as food and water security, sustainable economic growth, environmental justice, and climate change adaptations. Our flexible transdisciplinary program provides courses of study focused on the geospatial technologies (cartography, satellite remote sensing, and GIS), sustainable urban and regional planning, environment and global/regional development.
A Bachelor of Science (B.S.) and Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) are offered. Courses in:
- Geography: Geospatial Technology
- Geography: Urban and Regional Planning
- Geography: Environmental and Global Development
Topical areas of study include:
- Geospatial technology and geographic techniques
- Urban and regional planning
- Environmental and sustainable planning
- Environmental change
- Global and regional development
Our alumni have successful careers, such as:
- Senior GIS analyst
- Senior planner
- Senior business strategist
- GIS program director
- Business development manager
WHY STUDY GEOGRAPHY AT GRAND VALLEY?
- Geographers are on the forefront of research on climate and land use change, as well as social and economic impacts of regional and global environmental change.
- Majoring in geography gives students the knowledge to find long term, place based solutions that are socially, environmentally, and economically sustainable.
- Planning is one of the top 10 "hot jobs" in the country.
- Students acquire skills in research and analysis, leading to exciting, well-paid jobs both foreign and domestic, all while enhancing graduate school admissions.
- The 2015 median pay for a geographer is $74,260 per year and $35.70 per hour.
"Sustainability science reaches across many different disciplines...but geography comes closest to tying it all together. Geography is a core discipline of sustainability science." - George E. Clark, Environment Magazine
For more information visit the GVSU Course Catalog.
Geography and Sustainable Planning is a department within the GVSU College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. To learn more about the college, click here www.gvsu.edu/clas.