Rules & Etiquette
Revised: August 23, 2016
- Membership in the golf league requires at least one team member be a current or retired faculty/staff employee of GVSU.
- Our "three R's of golf"... recreation, relaxation, and a round of fun!
2. Starting Times
- Foursomes are scheduled to tee off at seven-minute intervals. Please arrive at the course in time to report at the first tee 15 minutes prior to your scheduled tee time. If players are late, other foursomes will be started until they arrive. Twosomes with no opponents will be given priority.
- There is no official starter. We all are responsible for getting started on time!
- All teams are expected to play at their appointed time with their scheduled opponents. If you must be late or need an alternate starting time, please make arrangements with your opponents.
- Opposing teams may play prior to league only if absolutely necessary, but the round must be played on the scheduled date. Please leave the scorecard at The Meadows Pro Shop.
3. Play Conditions
- Schedule: The league will be played in two half-seasons. Team rankings will be determined by the highest point totals in each half. The team with the highest number of points after the seventh week will be declared the first-half winner. Teams then start scratch for the season second-half, and the team with the highest points after the last scheduled week of play, will be declared the second-half winner. The winners of each half-season will compete for the league championship.
- Mulligans: Each player will be allowed one mulligan per round for an errant shot of their choice (does not include a putt). A mulligan must be declared and hit immediately after a ball is determined errant, or a provisional mulligan may be declared if the player believes the ball is possibly lost. If the original ball is found however, the player must continue play with the original ball, and the mulligan may be used later in the round. Once a player leaves the original point of shot, and the ball is later determined lost, the player may not return to "re-hit" using a mulligan.
- League-Winter Rules: League-winter rules are in effect at all times. The player may improve the lie of the ball anywhere on the course, except in hazards and sand traps, by rolling the ball over with the club head. Hazards are marked by red or yellow stakes. A free drop is allowed from areas marked with white paint.
- Inclement Weather: League play will be suspended or canceled only when The Meadows does not allow carts on the course due to inclement or hazardous weather conditions. Should such conditions be present on league day, a decision will be made by 3:00 pm. Call The Meadows Pro Shop at 616-331-1000 for league play confirmation.
- Your score for each hole consists of the number of strokes taken to hit onto the green plus the number of putts. Please total and record each player's score following the round.
- Maximum Score: The maximum score on a hole is double-par (par 3's-6, par 4's-8, par 5's-10). Pick up your ball if you reach the maximum; you need not finish the hole. Record a double-par on the scorecard for that hole and proceed to the next hole.
- "Gimme Putts": A "gimme putt" must be granted to your opponent if the ball is within two feet of the cup. The ball may be picked up, and it must be counted as one putt. You need not record the number of putts on the scorecard.
- Substitutes: Please record the first and last name of all substitute players on the scorecard. Please write all names and scores legibly to assure team points are calculated and recorded correctly.
- Preprinted scorecards with each player's per-hole handicap are provided each league night. Points for each hole will be calculated on the number of strokes taken to finish the hole, minus the handicap (number of dots).
- Handicaps are based on 90% of the difference between your average gross score and par. Average gross scores are calculated based on all rounds played. The first two week's handicaps will be the player's end-of-season handicap from the previous year, then total rounds will be used to determine handicaps thereafter. Handicaps for new league players will be calculated after the first round of play, and total rounds will be used to determine handicaps thereafter.
- Stroke differentials will be indicated by dots on the scorecard and based on the hole's handicap index.
- Women will tee off from the red tees and men from the white tees.
- 24 points will be awarded per foursome each week based on low-net scores (9 points per hole for low-handicap opponents, 9 points per hole for high-handicap opponents, 6 points for low team total).
- Points are based on scores after handicap stroke differential is applied. If this results in a tie, .5 points will be awarded each opponent.
- No-show players who fail to obtain subs will lose all 9 points for the match, and their team will lose the 6 points for total. The only points that team could win are the points earned by the team partner who plays. The opposing player against the no-show offender will earn points based on playing against the score of an attending league player randomly selected by the secretary.
- Out of courtesy and for maximum enjoyment of all players, please keep a timely pace of play. The goal for completing a round is 2-1/2 hrs. An empty hole in front of your foursome indicates you are seriously behind and should speed up play!
- All golfers are encouraged to use carts to help keep pace of play. Walkers should split up to look for your own golf ball. Cart golfers should assist walkers looking for a lost golf ball.
- The maximum time allowed to look for lost golf balls is two minutes! Opponents are responsible for timing.
- Play "ready-golf." Be prepared to take your shot. Getting ready to hit while others are hitting. Particularly around the greens, prepare to putt while others are putting. Hole out (finish putting) when convenient.
- Park golf carts on the side of the green toward the next tee.
- DO NOT record scores while on the green; wait until you reach the next tee.
- In addition to the league awards, other prizes will be awarded at the season finale banquet.