LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out information about COVID-19
League Rules & Etiquette
Revised: August 19, 2019
USGA Rules apply except as listed below.
- The golf league requires at least one team member be a current or retired faculty/staff employee of GVSU.
- Our "three R's of golf"... recreation, relaxation, and a round of fun!
2. Starting Times (4:30 p.m.- 5:26 p.m.)
- Foursomes are scheduled to tee off at seven-minute intervals. Please arrive at the course in time to report at the first tee 10 minutes prior to your scheduled tee time. If players are late, other foursomes will be started until they arrive. Because of the odd number of teams a twosome each week will be given priority of the first tee time.
- There is no official starter. We all are responsible for getting started on time!
- All teams are expected to play at their appointed time with their scheduled opponents. If you must be late or need an alternate starting time, please make arrangements with your opponents.
- Opposing teams may play prior to league only if absolutely necessary, but the round must be played on the scheduled date. Please leave the scorecard at The Meadows Pro Shop.
3. Play Conditions
- Schedule: Team rankings will be determined by the highest point totals over the season. Over the last two weeks of playoffs (August 9 & 16th) teams will play in a stepladder format to determine the league champion with the highest points prior to the Outing Night on August 23rd. There will be a consolation prize for those team who do not make the upper tier of points for the championship.
- Mulligans: Each player will be allowed one mulligan per round for an errant shot of their choice (does not include a putt). A mulligan must be declared and hit immediately after a ball is determined errant, or a provisional mulligan may be declared if the player believes the ball is possibly lost. If the original ball is found however, the player must continue play with the original ball, and the mulligan may be used later in the round. Once a player leaves the original point of shot, and the ball is later determined lost, the player may not return to "re-hit" using a mulligan.
- League-Winter Rules: League-winter rules are in effect at all times. The player may improve the lie of the ball anywhere on the course, except in hazards and sand traps, by rolling the ball over with the club head. Hazards are marked by red or yellow stakes. A free drop is allowed from areas marked with white paint.
- Inclement Weather: League play will be suspended or canceled only when The Meadows does not allow carts on the course due to inclement or hazardous weather conditions. Should such conditions be present on league day, a decision will be made by 3:00 p.m. Call The Meadows Pro Shop at (616) 331-1000 for league play confirmation.
- Your score for each hole consists of the number of strokes taken to hit onto the green plus the number of putts. Please total and record each player's score following the round.
- Maximum Score: The maximum score on a hole is double-par (par 3's-6, par 4's-8, par 5's-10). Pick up your ball if you reach the maximum; you need not finish the hole. Record a double-par on the scorecard for that hole and proceed to the next hole.
- "Gimme Putts": A "gimme putt" must be granted to your opponent if the ball is within two feet of the cup. The ball may be picked up, and it must be counted as one putt. You need not record the number of putts on the scorecard.
- Substitutes: Please record the first and last name of all substitute players on the scorecard. Please write all names and scores legibly to assure team points are calculated and recorded correctly.
- Points for each hole will be calculated on the number of strokes taken to finish the hole, minus the handicap.
5. Tee Boxes and Handicaps
- Red Tees: Women and optional for any player 80+ years of age; Gold Tees: Optional for any player 60+ years of age; White Tees: Men 60 years of age and younger;
Blue Tees: Optional for anyone; Black Tees: GO FOR IT!!! *** Once tee box has been selected, you must use this tee box for remainder of the season.
- Handicaps: Based the difference between your average gross score and par. Average gross scores are calculated based on all rounds played. Handicaps for all players will be calculated after two rounds of play, and total rounds will be used to determine handicaps thereafter.
- Stroke differentials will be based on the hole's handicap index.
6. Format and Points
- Teams will be paired again as in the past, however the teams will not be competing against each other. Instead each team will be challenged to play as well as they can against their own handicap (average score) based on previous scoring weeks. You will be always trying to beat your best team net score. Points will be given each week toward the championship based on the best to the worst net score for all 17 teams. Total points prior to August 9 will determine which teams will be in the playoffs for the league championship on August 9th & 16th.
- Out of courtesy and for maximum enjoyment of all players, please keep a timely pace of play. The goal for completing a round is 2-1/2 hrs. All golfers are encouraged to use carts to help keep pace of play. An empty hole in front of your foursome indicates you are seriously behind and should speed up play! Other foursomes behind you should be waived to play-through if your foursome is not keeping proper pace.
- The maximum time allowed to look for lost golf balls is two minutes! Opponents are not responsible to help look for a lost ball. Opponents are responsible for timing the search. Walkers should split up to look for your own golf ball.
- Play "ready-golf." Be prepared to take your shot. Get ready to hit while others are hitting. Particularly around the greens, prepare to putt while others are putting. Hole out (finish putting) when convenient.
- Park golf carts and place golf bags on the side of the green toward the next tee.
- DO NOT record scores while on the green; wait until you reach the next tee.
- In addition to the league awards, other prizes will be awarded at the season finale banquet.