President's corner

December 12, 2023 (Volume 47, Number 8)

President Mantella standing with arms crossed in black suit jacket in her office

President Philomena V. Mantella

Photo Credit: Amanda Pitts

As finals week brings the fall semester to a close and we prepare for a much-deserved holiday break, I want to acknowledge the tireless effort and dedication you each have put into shaping an empowered learning experience for our students. Your commitments to innovation, applied research and experiential learning not only propel our students forward in their educational journey but also enrich our institution and community.

I want to extend my heartfelt appreciation for your continued support and commitment to our Reach Higher priorities and for providing students with a liberal arts education and access to a broad portfolio of professional disciplines. This focus creates a learning environment built on intellectual curiosity and academic growth where students can thrive and develop, knowing they are prepared for the knowledge economy jobs they will fill.

With successes like the creation of a new college of computing, a $30 million capital outlay from the state for our Blue Dot Lab, and continued growing interest in the Laker Accelerated Talent Link, to name a few, it’s been a semester of continued positive momentum. 

Looking ahead to the winter semester, I’m confident we will continue to innovate, inspire, ideate and create a model of higher education that will help us serve as Michigan’s flagship university of the future. We will do so while simultaneously continuing our commitment to an inclusive and welcoming campus community.

I wish you a restful and rejuvenating break and I look forward to us all returning with renewed passion in January as we continue to build capacity, embrace new opportunities and leverage our collective passion and expertise to provide superior value to our learners.

Sincerely,
Philly

Philomena V. Mantella, President
Grand Valley State University

Categories

Across Campus

This article was last edited on December 12, 2023 at 12:18 p.m.

Related Articles

Gaines earns AP Achievement Award

The AP Achievement Award and six other awards were presented at the annual luncheon.

Featured

April 23, 2024 (Volume 47, Number 17)

Faculty responses to job satisfaction survey benefit Student Emergency Fund

Each response to the COACHE survey added to the fund; the total donated was more than $15,500.

Article by Michele Coffill

President's corner

Two recent events, Student Scholars Showcase and Reach Higher Showcase, show how Lakers are solving problems and building the future through remarkable research and ideation.