Graduate seeks out former professor for help with accessible vehicle design

October 3, 2023 (Volume 47, Number 3)
Article by Thomas Garrett

At left is Melba Vélez Ortiz, professor of communications, Honors College, with former student and 2010 graduate Hannah Wagner.

At left is Melba Vélez Ortiz, professor of communications, Honors College, with former student and 2010 graduate Hannah Wagner.

A 2010 Grand Valley graduate who is working in accessibility for user experience at General Motors sought out her former professor to help impact the designs of tomorrow’s vehicles. 

Hannah Wagner contacted Melba Vélez Ortiz, professor of communications, Honors College. Vélez Ortiz talked with Wagner about how people with visual impairments and guide dogs use their vehicles.

Wagner, who earned a bachelor’s degree in fine arts and design, with a focus on graphic design, is the CVAA lead, User Experience Design System. CVAA stands for the 21st century Communications and Video Accessibility Act. In her job, Wagner works to make a vehicle experience that everyone can enjoy.

“We tend to design for ourselves because that is what we know,” said Wagner.

Wagner’s mother was diagnosed with Graves’ disease and her mother-in-law was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). With that life experience, Wagner said she went to her leadership at General Motors with a proposal to develop a position based on vehicle accessibility. With director support and the interest of many others at GM, Wagner was able to create her own groundbreaking position in accessibility, as well as collaborate with others to help form an Accessibility Center for Excellence.

“These were the things that kicked it home and made me think, ‘Hey I should be doing this,’” said Wagner.

Wagner's experience in the automotive industry began when she worked at an advertising agency that worked directly with Ford Motor Company. 

Her current work has brought her back to campus, speaking with Vélez Ortiz’s “The Sound of Ethics” classes. 

Vélez Ortiz said, “When I get up every day to teach, I am hoping I am shaping good leaders, not followers, and that is exactly what Hannah is, a leader."

Categories

Across Campus

This article was last edited on October 2, 2023 at 9:45 a.m.

Related Articles

Gaines earns AP Achievement Award

The AP Achievement Award and six other awards were presented at the annual luncheon.

Featured

April 23, 2024 (Volume 47, Number 17)

Faculty responses to job satisfaction survey benefit Student Emergency Fund

Each response to the COACHE survey added to the fund; the total donated was more than $15,500.

Article by Michele Coffill

President's corner

Two recent events, Student Scholars Showcase and Reach Higher Showcase, show how Lakers are solving problems and building the future through remarkable research and ideation.