We Care Project
Project: EXTENDED ‘We Care’ Packages
Purpose: Let our quarantined/isolated GV students know they are not alone and brighten their day
What: A request for donations to send care packages to students in quarantine or isolation on our Allendale and Pew campuses, in collaboration with Housing and the Dean of Student’s Care Team.
• small plants (easy care)
• thinking putty
• snacks (pre-wrapped, non-perishable)
• something handmade
• mug or water bottle
• gift card(s) to Amazon, Spotify, Uber, or GrubHub (max $20)
• favorite book
• adult coloring books or book of puzzles
• warm/knit hat
• colored pens or multi-color pens
• string lights
• puzzle or fidget toys (puzzle cubes, gear wheel puzzles, stacking games, models, etc.)
• letter or card written from you to a student
A personalized note from faculty would be particularly appreciated. Although you will not know the students’ names, this is a chance for you to share guidance and good wishes with students who are in need.
Why: There are currently many Grand Valley students in quarantine or isolation. Although only a subset is living on campus, those students who are quarantined or in isolation within our residence halls are most likely to be first- or second-year students and living away from home for the first time. Student services, housing, and dining provide an array of supports. This project provides an avenue for all faculty and staff to join with our colleagues in support of these vulnerable students, underscoring for our quarantined/isolated students that they are not alone and to brighten their days.
TO DATE thanks to the generosity of our GVSU community of faculty and staff, we have assembled 466 care packages for students in quarantine or isolation. The packages have been sent to students in both on campus and near-off campus housing. As some students have been able to return home, we have also begun sending a few packages to students at their home addresses. Students who have received the packages have reached out to thank faculty who have included signed notes in their packages as well as contacting Housing and the Dean of Students to say how much these gifts are appreciated.
Where and When: Physical items can be dropped off at
- Allendale Campus - Brooks College Dean's Office, 2nd Floor Lake Ontario (Monday-Friday 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
- Pew Campus - Center for Adult and Continuing Studies, 718 Eberhard (Monday-Friday 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
- Monetary donations can be shared with Melanie Shell-Weiss via Venmo and will be applied toward purchase of gifts and/or supplies for the care packages.
Items are being accepted immediately through the end of November and continued as long as there remain
students in need.