ACTIVE SHOOTER IN YOUR IMMEDIATE AREA
Quickly determine the most reasonable way to protect your own life.
Quick Tip: RUN HIDE FIGHT
- Have an escape route plan in mind.
- Leave your belongings.
- Keep your hands visible.
- DO NOT pull a fire alarm. This can put others in harm’s way.
- Run away from the threat as fast as you can.
- Do not run in a straight line.
- Keep objects or buildings between you and the active shooter or hostile intruder.
- If you can, get away from the area of danger and warn others not to enter the area.
- Hide in an area out of the suspect's view.
- Lock all doors and place objects to block / barricade entry into your hiding place.
- Turn off lights, silence cellphones, close blinds.
- DIAL 911 AND REPORT ONLY WHEN SAFE TO DO SO
- As a last resort and only when your life is in imminent danger.
- Act with others to incapacitate the suspect.
- Act with physical aggression and throw items at the suspect.
ACTIVE SHOOTER ELSEWHERE ON CAMPUS
- Only you can tell if it is safe to run from the building.
- If in doubt, do not run. Find a secure area where you are.
- Lock and barricade the doors to the room you are in.
- Turn off lights.
- Close blinds.
- Silence cell phones and other electronic devices.
- Turn off radio and computer monitors.
- Stay out of sight of windows and doors and do not huddle together.
- Be quiet and stay calm.
- Stay in hiding until an "All Clear" notification.
WHEN LAW ENFORCEMENT ARRIVES
- Remain calm and follow officers' instructions.
- Do not stop to ask officers for help or directions when evacuating, just proceed in the direction from which officers are entering the premises.
- Be aware that emergency personnel may not know who the active shooter or hostile intruder is when arriving on scene.
- Immediately raise hands and spread fingers.
- Keep hands visible at all times.
- Avoid pointing and screaming and/or yelling.