Study Abroad Opportunities
GVSU's Barbara H. Padnos International Center and the Consortium of Overseas Student Teachers (COST program) have partnered with GVSU faculty to offer a number of programs for Education students to study abroad. Brief descriptions of some of the opportunities are included below. Scroll down the page to find information or select one of the following links to jump directly to that program:
Consortium of Overseas Student Teachers (COST) Program
The Consortium of Overseas Student Teachers (COST) is a collaboration of 16 universities across the continental U.S. that provide quality student teaching internship experiences in 15 countries worldwide.
When to apply:
- March 1st for students scheduled for student teaching internship in the Fall semester of that same calendar year.
- September 10th for students scheduled for student teaching internship in the Winter semester of the following calendar year.
COST Program Requirements
- COST Application from the Program Director
- Application for Field Placement
- GPA 3.0
- GVSU required health insurance (approx. $1.35 per day)
- Sense of adventure
In the Germany program, students partner with Pädagogische Hochschule Schwäbisch Gmünd (PHSG) to engage in 6-week K-12 school placements in the area of Schwäbisch Gmünd. GVSU and PHSG have been partners since 2006, and PHSG offers outstanding educational programs to more than 3,000 students. Founded as a teacher education university, most students at PHSG are studying to be teachers. GVSU students can take courses in either English or in German; however, the courses available in English are limited. Students interested in improving their German proficiency are strongly encouraged to take regular PHSG courses taught in German.
Set upon a hilltop just outside the town of Schwabisch Gmund, PHSG is just a short bus ride to the city center which offers students a very warm and culturally rich atmosphere. This medieval town is part of the UNESCO World Heritage "Roman Limes," and is home to several architectural treasures, museums, and colorful shopping centers.
- Students interested in a school placement through one of PHSG's school partnerships must contact Sherie Klee at [email protected] to learn how this can fit into your academic plan. Possible student internship placements are available for Fall semesters only.
- For additional information about the course options available visit the PHSG website.
Additional Study Abroad Opportunities
In addition to the Study Abroad opportunities for students pursing Education majors, GVSU's College of Liberal Art and Sciences offers a number of PCKET Major Study Abroad Opportunities, allowing students to complete content area courses in international settings.
Please visit GVSU Study Abroad to search for additional international study opportunities and begin your study abroad journey.