A Short Drive Across the Mitten, the Experience of a Lifetime
The Grand Valley college experience is both classic and contemporary, with multiple settings that foster deep learning and endless opportunities.
The beautiful main campus in Allendale is nestled next to the Grand River, where updated, first-rate facilities and a dynamic atmosphere are surrounded by tranquil wooded areas and ravines.
Two campuses in vibrant downtown Grand Rapids infuse you with the energy of an urban setting in a city teeming with arts and culture.
Gardens invite quiet time. Carillons ring out with classic campus-wide timekeeping and music. Lake Michigan with its sandy beaches and stunning sunsets beckons a short drive to the west.
All of this awaits you at Grand Valley, West Michigan's university.
The Allendale Campus is 12 miles west of Grand Rapids, offering a comprehensive experience on 1,322 acres. You will find top-quality academic resources, modern living centers, and student organizations, arts, athletics, and more to round out your time here.
The Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids Campus is in the heart of Michigan's second-largest city. And the growing Health Campus anchors the east end of Grand Rapids' Medical Mile, placing it in a prime location within the city's thriving health care community.
PREPARE TO SUCCEED
You will develop broad knowledge through Grand Valley's liberal education foundation and a skill set that will teach you how to think, create, and solve problems – assets you will use for a lifetime on the job and in the community. You also will receive the specialized expertise to set you apart in your field.
The key ingredient to ensuring your success on campus and beyond? Outstanding faculty members who first and foremost love to teach. And they are tops in their fields, producing significant research, literature, art, and more. In fact, Grand Valley was ranked second nationally for the number of faculty members who are Fulbright Scholars.
- Grand Valley offers more than 300 areas of study and more than 130 degree programs – some nationally ranked.
- First-rate facilities enhance your education and are continually upgraded. Recent updates include the renovated Thomas J. and Marcia J. Haas Center for the Performing Arts on the Allendale campus and the recently opened Raleigh J. Finkelstein Hall on the Health Campus along Grand Rapids' Medical Mile.
- A majority of our courses are taught by professors, not graduate assistants, giving you a more meaningful classroom experience.
- Practical learning experiences abound, better preparing you for your career.
- Undergraduate students have the opportunity to collaborate with faculty members on research that is only available to graduate students at other schools.
A WELL-ROUNDED EDUCATION
Brittany Sugg of Plymouth went from learning in a classroom setting to working with Detroit Red Wings players as part of her exercise science program. See why she believes the full breadth of her classes will help her future.
Discover Your Effect
Enrolling at Grand Valley means joining the proud ranks of Lakers who are educated to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies.
On campus, you'll join a community that understands we're all part of something bigger and that strives to make lives better.
By the time you graduate, you will have a clear path moving forward, fueled by an education that has taught you to grow as a thinker, a problem solver, and as a person.
Our graduates bring more than their strong academic credentials to their careers and communities -- they also bring leadership skills and a drive to give and create.
We call it the Laker Effect.
Lakers take seriously their commitment to making a difference in their community and beyond, even if they're no longer on campus. They are Lakers for a Lifetime.
REAL VALUE, REAL RESULTS
Grand Valley offers tuition rates that are one of the lowest in the state and a graduation rate that is consistently in the top tier for public universities. Your learning experience is supported through engaging campus resources. And you will leave with a degree that represents a relevant education fostered in first-rate facilities.
- Not only does Grand Valley have one of the state's top graduation rates, but it is committed to you graduating on time. In fact, if you stay on track to receive your degree in four years, we will pay you! The Grand Finish grant provides $1,000 to students who complete 90 credits within three years of enrollment at Grand Valley. Last year, more than 2,600 students received the reward.
- You can apply for scholarships from a comprehensive list, including some reserved for students in the Detroit metro area such as the Metro Detroit Alumni Scholarship, the Walsh VIP Scholarship, and the Urban Schools Scholarship.
- An array of companies in the Detroit metro area employ Grand Valley students and alumni, including General Motors Corp., DTE Energy, Beaumont Health System, Ford Motor Co., Quicken Loans Inc., Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, Plante Moran, and Meridian Health Plan.
WATCH ONE GRADUATE'S STORY
Brian Parks of Detroit earned both his bachelor's degree in finance and economics as well as his M.B.A. at Grand Valley. He credits the faculty, quality curriculum, and abundant networking opportunities for setting the stage for his success as an analyst at General Motors Corp.
SEE HOW THESE GRAND VALLEY STUDENTS FROM THE DETROIT AREA BECAME PROUD LAKERS
Working on design teams for high-performance engines provided valuable real-world experience through Grand Valley's nationally ranked engineering program.
Grant Borregard of Farmington Hills
Douglas Chambers of Clinton Township
A passion for helping people and making a difference was met with real opportunities to help those in distress for this social work major.
Domonique Stevens of Chesterfield
MAKE YOUR MARK ON CAMPUS OR ON ANOTHER CONTINENT
Your experience at Grand Valley is full of opportunities for growth -- and we'll give you the necessary nudge to set you on that journey. You can reach outside your comfort zone to find new interests and passions, whether that's joining one of the more than 400 student organizations or really expanding your horizons with one of the more than 4,000 study abroad programs.
Last year more than 780 students went on an adventure of a lifetime; Grand Valley ranks ninth in the nation for study abroad participation. It is one of the hallmarks of a Grand Valley education: a robust study abroad program that students say changes their lives and helps them see the full potential of being a force for positive change in their communities and in the world.
You can find that force across the globe or on campus, but know when you leave here it stays with you.
That is the Laker Effect.
Adventurer, risk-taker, Laker
Joshua Bryant of Detroit dreamed since middle school of going to Japan. His dream was realized through Grand Valley's study abroad program. Watch him discuss his experience.
TAKE AN AERIAL TOUR OF ALL THAT AWAITS YOU AT GRAND VALLEY