Resources for Sexual Assault Survivors
Support, Advocacy, & Health Options:
- The GVSU Center for Women and Gender Equity offers a Victim Advocate who provides private and non-biased support to student survivors of gender-based violence. View the Center for Women and Gender Equity's sexual assault survivor resources.
- The YWCA offers crisis help, short term respite, counseling, and a nurse examiner program at no cost. Call the Sexual Assault Program 24-hour hotline (616) 454-YWCA (9922).
- The Resilience: Advocates for Ending Violence in Holland offers nurse examinations, sexual assault case management and legal advocacy, and trauma therapy. Call (616) 392-1970 or the 24-Hour Crisis Line 800-848-5991 for more information.
- Campus Health Center: (616) 252-6030 Monday-Friday / 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
On Campus Options
- If you feel you are in danger, contact the police: CALL 911
- Contact your RA, Graduate Assistant, or Living Center Director
- University Counseling Center at (616) 331-3266
(after business hours, contact your RA or Grand Valley Police Department at (616) 331-3255 for crisis support)
- Center for Women and Gender Equity's Victim Advocate at (616) 331-2748
- Dean of Students: (616) 331-3585
Off Campus Options
- If you feel you are in danger, CALL 911
- YWCA Sexual Assault Program 24-hour hotline online or at (616) 454-YWCA (9922)
- Resilience: Advocates for Ending Violence in Holland's 24-hour hotline online or at (616) 392-1970 or 1-800-848-5991
- Men's Resource Center in Grand Rapids at (616) 456-1178
- GVSU Center for Women and Gender Equity at (616) 331-2748
- GVSU University Counseling Center (616) 331-3266
- GVSU Dean of Students: (616) 331-3585
The survivor may not want to report to the police or get counseling. The YWCA Sexual Assault program or the Resilience: Advocates for Ending Violence in Holland can check for physical injury, discuss STD prevention, emergency contraception, and collection of evidence in case the survivor changes their mind at a later date about reporting. These agencies also have staff who can discuss options and other services that are available.