What is it?
Anger is an appropriate and healthy emotion. It can be a powerful emotion that people feel from time to time when someone or something frustrates or annoys them. Adaptive expression of anger is essential to reduce the intensity of this emotion.
What Symptoms Might You Notice?
Individuals can experience both physical and emotional signs of anger.
Examples of physical signs
- Grinding your teeth
- Tightness in your face and mouth
- Increase in heart rate
- Raising your voice
- Screaming or yelling
Examples of emotional signs
- Sad or depressed
Things you can do to alleviate anger:
Examples of Anger management strategies
- Deep breathing
- Journal writing
- Engaging in any physical activities
- Talking to a supportive friend or a family member
- Taking a break
- Practicing progressive muscle relaxation
- Expressing your anger in a nonconfrontational way
- Monitoring/identifying anger signs
- Reframing your thoughts
- Exploring feelings that trigger your anger