Professor of Classics
Graduate Faculty Member (2011-)
ON LEAVE 2019-2020
Research Areas: Seneca, Roman Stoics, Martial, Latin Pedagogies and Cognitive Aspects of SL Acquisition.
BA, MA University of Ottawa/Université d'Ottawa
PhD (Greek & Latin Philology) University of Cincinnati
- Professor of Classics 2017-
- Associate Professor of Classics 2010-2017
- Assistant Professor of Classics 2004-2010
- Chief Examiner, DP Classical Languages, International Baccalaureate Organization (2017-2022)
- Deputy Chief Examiner, DP Classical Languages, International Baccalaureate Organization (2012-2016)
- Unit Head, Classics (2014-2017)
- Grand Valley State University Nominee for the Michigan Distinguished Professor of the Year Award, Presidents Council, State Universities of Michigan (2013).
- Faculty of Distinction Award, GVSU Circle of Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society (ODK), 2011-12
- APA Collegiate Teaching Award, 2010
- Margo Tytus Visiting Fellow, University of Cincinnati, 2009
- GVSU Pew Teaching Excellence Award, 2008
Work in Progress
“Seneca’s De Constantia Sapientis” Dickinson Classical Commentaries (contract)
“The Latin Translations of Marcus Aurelius: a digital resource”
“Rewriting and Recasting Strategies in the active Latin classroom” (article, Classical Outlook)
“Stoic technical terminology in Xylander, Casaubon, and Gataker” (article)
“A Study of Pedagogical Translation Models” (article)
“An RST Analysis of Meditations Book 5: the Source and its Latin Translations” (article and web resource)
"Backward Mapping and the New Standards" Teaching Classical Languages 8.2 (2018)
"Catullus, Selections" in Latin Lyric and Elegiac Poetry: An Anthology of New Translations, 2nd edition. Diane J. Rayor and William Batstone, EdD. Routledge. (2018)
“Heracles' Choice: Thoughts on the virtues of print and digital commentary.” in Classical Commentaries: Explorations in a scholarly genre. C.S. Kraus and C.A. Stray, EdD. Oxford University Press (2016).
(2015) Seneca: Selected Dialogues and Consolations. Hackett Publishing, Indianapolis.
(2015) "De Providentia" in Introductory Readings in Ancient Greek and Roman Philosophy, 2nd edition. edited by C.D.C. Reeve and Patrick Lee Miller. Hackett Publishing, Indianapolis.
(2013) Prokope: Digital Commentary Project (a TEI xml text & commentary of Martial’s Epigrams Book 10)
(2011) “Form-focused Teaching for the Intermediate Latin Student” Teaching Classical Languages 2.1 (with student Mark Beckwith)
(2011) “Absit Malignus Interpres: Martial's Preface to Book One of the Epigrams and the Construction of Audience Response to Epigram." in Emotion, Gender, and Genre in Antiquity, D. Munteanu, ed. London: Duckworth
(2010) review of William Fitzgerald Martial: The World of Epigram. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2007. Classical Journal 105.3
(2007) review of Rosario Moreno Soldevila, Juan Fernández Valverde, Enrique Montero Cartelle, Marco Valerio Marcial. Epigramas. Volumen II (Libros 8-14). Madrid: Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, 2005. Bryn Mawr Classical Review 2007.07.31
(2006) review of Gretchen Reydams-Schils The Roman Stoics: Self, Responsibility, and Affection. The Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2005. in Classical Bulletin 82.2, 280-282.
(2006) "Martial 1.29: Appearance and Authorship" Rheinisches Museum für Philologie 149.1: 119-122
(2005) "A Verse-scrap on a kylix by Epiktetos", TAPA 135.2:267-277