Michelle McCloud, M.B.A.
Title: Assistant Dean for Finance and Project Management
Office: B-4-232 MAK
- Manage the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) budget
- Monitor budgets for the 25 CLAS units
- Work collaboratively with Business & Finance, University Budgets and Sponsored Programs (for grants) to resolve budget and accounting issues
- Work collaboratively within CLAS to develop the annual personnel, hardware and instrumentation budget requests
- Provide training and technical assistance to CLAS department unit heads in regards to departmental budgets and accounting practices
- Monitor and evaluate endowment and spending accounts
- Work collaboratively with departments to forecast staffing needs and required resources, including graduate assistantships
- Assess and forecast overall college resource needs and work collaboratively with the Dean and Associate Deans to plan accordingly
- Assist CLAS faculty and departments with pre-award grant proposal submissions and monitor post-award grant activity and budgets
- Build relationships and engage in other projects as the need arises and/or as directed by the Dean
Michelle earned her MBA and her BBA in Accounting from Davenport University, is a Certified Government Financial Manager (CGFM) and holds certificates designated for grants management professionals.
Michelle joined the GVSU family in 2006 and is coming to the Dean's Office after serving as the Finance Manager for the Michigan Small Business Development Center State Headquarters here at GVSU for two and a half years and almost 7 years in GVSU's Business and Finance office as a Senior Grants Accountant. Michelle also worked in finance and audit for 8 years in state government at the Michigan Department of Community Health, as well as in private industry. She is an accomplished financial professional with over 17 years of accounting and finance experience.
Michelle serves the GVSU, Grand Rapids and professional communities in many ways. She currently serves on the GVSU Women's Commission Advisory Board, the AP Committee's Salary and Benefits subcommittee, has served as the Chair of the GVSU Administrative Professional Committee, and as President of the GVSU Positive Black Women organization. In the community, Michelle has served on the board of directors for the Court Appoint Special Advocate (C.A.S.A) of Kent County, Inc. and is a member of the Kent County Board of Commissioners, Officers Compensation Committee. She has served as the President of the National Association of Black Accountants Lansing Chapter and held leadership roles in other professional organizations. She's an active community volunteer that has served as a hospice volunteer for Heartland Hospice Care, delivered meals for the Meals-On-Wheels program, served as a mentor for young women at GVSU and through Bethany Christian Services and actively participates with her local school community. Michelle is an avid organizer and enjoys gardening and traveling.