LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward.
2020-2021 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Badge in Foundations of Tax Practice
The School of Accountings foundations of tax practice badge (not a degree or a certificate) is designed to prepare students for entry-level tax research, planning, and preparation for corporations, partnerships, estates, gifts, and trusts, including tasks such as:
- Explain the techniques of tax research and formal written communication
- Explain the hierarchy of tax law sources, including the Internal Revenue Code, case law, administrative regulations and administrative ruling
- Research and provide tax law conclusions for tax issues posited by various tax fact patterns regarding
- taxability of corporations and their shareholders, corporate formation, nonliquidating distributions and redemptions
- transfer tax rules, including estate tax inclusion, marital deductions, exemption amounts, gift taxes, and annual exclusions o formation and operation of partnerships, including receipt of a partnership interest for services, liquidations, terminations, distributions and sales of partnership interest, calculation of basis, special basis adjustments, decedent partner issues, and LLCs
The foundations of tax practice badge is comprised of four courses (12 credits).
Completion of a bachelors degree in accounting, with at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA. Alternatively, Seidman College accounting students with senior standing who have completed ACC 310, ACC 311, and ACC 340 with a grade of B or better, who have no more than 35 credits left to complete their undergraduate degree requirements, and who have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0. Applicants seeking this badge while undergraduate or dual enrolled students must specify whether each course will count toward their current undergraduate degree or a future graduate degree.
The foundations of tax practice badge is offered on the Pew Campus in downtown Grand Rapids, MI.