2019-2020 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Piano Pedagogy Certificate
Students must be degree-seeking students to receive the certificate. The certificate will be awarded at the same time as the degree is awarded. All undergraduate certificates have received Higher Learning Commission approval, and students are eligible for financial aid because they are seeking a degree. Piano pedagogy certification (in the Department of Music, Theatre, and Dance at Grand Valley State University) will enable undergraduate piano majors and area piano teachers to focus on the skills necessary for successful piano teaching. Music majors who are not piano majors who are interested in honing their skills in piano teaching may also work towards this certification. Students learn how to teach beginner, intermediate, and early-advanced students. They learn how to teach pre-college students as well as music majors who take keyboard as their secondary instrument. They learn how to teach correct technique, how to develop musicianship and good sight-reading skills, how to select and teach repertoire, how to practice efficiently, and how to motivate. Students learn about the most important competitions and festivals in the state as well as in the nation.
- To gain entrance into the program, an interview and a performance of one memorized piano work with the piano pedagogy professor will take place.
- This certification provides teachers with theoretical knowledge and practical experiences in accordance with state and national piano teaching guidelines.
- The piano pedagogy coursework includes guided teaching experiences.
- Students completing the piano pedagogy certification will have a record of this accomplishment appear on their academic transcript, and a certificate for their piano studio.
Piano Pedagogy Certification
The piano pedagogy certification is 12 credits; seven credits in piano pedagogy, two credits in piano literature, and three elective credits:
- MUS 310 - Piano Literature Credits: 2
- MUS 361 - Piano Pedagogy I Credits: 3
- MUS 371 - Piano Pedagogy II Credits: 3
- MUS 379 - Piano Pedagogy Masterclass Credits: 1
(to be taken after MUS 361 and 371.)
Students may choose three credits from the following elective credits:
- MUS 104 - Chamber Music Ensembles Credits: .5
- MUS 126 - Collaborative Piano Credits: 1
- MUS 141 - Private Instruction in Voice and Instruments - Freshman Credits: 1 AND MUS 142 - Private Instruction in Voice and Instruments - Freshman (1 credit)
- MUS 144 - Private Instruction in Voice and Instruments - Freshman Credits: 3 AND MUS 145 - Private Instruction in Voice and Instruments - Freshman (3 credits)
- MUS 180 - Special Topics in Music Credits: 1
- PED 166 - Beginning Ballet Credits: 1
Other courses of interest: