COVID-19 Vaccine Reporting and Exemptions
COVID-19 Vaccine Compliance
All incoming GVSU students, faculty, and staff are required to be COVID-19 vaccine compliant.
Grand Valley State University has partnered with Med+Proctor to collect and review immunization information for our students, faculty, and staff. Please note: GVSU staff will continue to review exemption requests.
Please note that you may also be required to provide immunization information separately for your academic program.
Grand Valley is not currently requiring the COVID-19 booster shot to be in compliance, although, you may need it if you are enrolled in a health/health-related program that requires health compliance OR if you will engage in a course, internship, practicum, co-op, or similar learning experience that will require you to be on-site or interact with staff from a health-care organization i.e. hospital, clinic, hospice, skilled nursing, community mental health, etc.
How to Comply
1. Log in to Med+Proctor using your GVSU Network ID and password to submit your COVID-19 vaccine documentation.
- With a standard Med+Proctor account (free), you do not retain access to your uploaded immunization documentation.
- With a Med+Proctor Pro account ($10), you receive lifetime access to your uploaded immunization documentation. The $10 fee is for students who desire to use Med+ Proctor's enhanced service. If you don't want the enhanced service, be sure to click on "To continue without paying." It is written in smaller type under the $10 fee info. Click on that to continue without paying. There is also another optional fee for expediting of documents. At this time, this is NOT recommended.
- For any other questions or problems using the service, Med+Proctor has an online chat to help.
2. Complete required personal information, download the immunization certificate, and follow the directions provided.
3. Upload a copy of your COVID-19 vaccine card or other acceptable immunization forms to your Med+Proctor account. Make sure your forms are properly filled out and legible. If you are uploading your own copy of your immunizations instead of the forms provided by Med+Proctor, please be sure it has your medical provider's office stamp and signature. All immunization documentation must be in English. Med+Proctor is unable to translate documents.
4. Once the immunization forms are received, you will receive an email confirmation saying the forms have been accepted. Please note: this doesn't mean that they have been approved, but rather that they uploaded properly.
- For individuals who provide vaccine records that satisfy requirements, your status will be changed to compliant and the hold on your account will be lifted (if applicable). You do not need to do anything else at this time, as you are now considered compliant for GVSU.
- Students who provide information that does not meet the requirements, you will be prompted to make corrections. Until you do so, you will not be considered compliant.
- Students who fail to comply by Friday, October 28: You will have a hold placed on your account that will prevent you from changing your schedule or registering for future semesters. Once you complete your COVID-19 vaccine compliance on Med+Proctor, the hold will be lifted and you will be able to register for classes subject to space availability and registration deadlines.
Getting your COVID-19 immunization records
There are a few options on how to get your immunization documentation:
- Contact your physician's office
Michigan residents: If you are 18 years of age and older you may be able to download your State of Michigan immunization record from the Michigan Care Improvement Registry. Please have a valid government issued photo ID available to sign in and access your immunization record. Access the Michigan Immunization Portal for citizens visit MIImms Portal here.
- GVSU students may also visit the Campus Health Center
If you have questions about a hold on your account, you can contact GVSU's Registrar's Office: [email protected]
GVSU COVID-19 Vaccine Exemption Requests
The exemption forms below are general forms for most GVSU students. If you are enrolled in a health/health related program that requires health compliance OR if you will engage in a course, internship, practicum, co-op or similar learning experience that will require you to be on site or interact with staff from a health-care organization i.e. hospital, clinic, hospice, skilled nursing, community mental health etc., you will need to undergo a separate review process that aligns with the federal requirements currently in effect at health-care facilities. For more information, visit: GVSU Health Compliance COVID-19 Vaccine Exemption Requests - Health Compliance - Grand Valley State University
The medical exemption form is for individuals who have a medical condition that prevents them from receiving the COVID vaccine prior to the timeframes. You must provide the Provider Documentation Form when requesting a medical exemption. Please upload your supporting documentation to Med+ Proctor.
Non-Medical Exemption Requests
The non-medical exemption request form is to be used only for non-medical exemption requests, such as:
- Religious Exemption Requests for individuals who have a sincerely held religious belief that prevents them from receiving the COVID-19 vaccine. When completing the form please explain why you are requesting a religious exemption. You will need to include a first-hand statement explaining your sincerely held religious belief that supports not getting the COVID-19 vaccine. The exemption committee may ask for additional documentation based on the information you provide.
- Philosophical Objections for individuals who have philosophical beliefs that prevent them from receiving the COVID-19 vaccine. Your explanation should include enough detail so that the institution can determine that these beliefs are sincerely held. The exemption committee may ask for additional documentation based on the information you provide.
- Online Only. Students whose classes are completely online will need to complete the form and provide a rationale for either a religious or philosophical objection (see above). The exemption committee may ask for additional documentation based on the information you provide.
All Non-Medical exemption requests must include a first-hand statement explaining your sincerely held beliefs. You may use external documents to reference your beliefs but the statement must be written in your own words. If you have any questions or concerns, please refer to our University Plagiarism Policy
How to Submit an Exemption Request
- Log in to Med+Proctor using your GVSU Network ID and password to submit your information.
- Upload the appropriate form (Medical Provider Documentation Form or Non-Medical Exemption Request Form ).
- For Non-Medical Exemption Requests, be sure to include a written statement that clearly articulates how your sincerely-held belief prevents you from receiving the vaccine.
- If further instruction is needed, please email [email protected]
Med+ Proctor Overview
*Uploading your supporting documents to Med+Proctor is FREE. The $10 fee is for individuals who desire to use Med+ Proctor's enhanced service**. If you don't want the enhanced service, be sure to click on "To continue without paying." It is written in smaller type under the $10 fee info. Click on that to continue without paying. For any other questions or problems using the service, Med+Proctor has an online chat to help.
**What is the enhanced service? The $10 optional upgrade fee is for a med proctor pro account. The MP Pro Account allows you to have lifetime access to your MP account after graduation, you will be able to view all of your uploads and you will be able to download your uploads as well. This allows you to have quick and easy access to your immunization records in the future. if you don't want those perks you can just click the gray no thank you button to upload with a general account.
***There is also another optional fee for expediting of documents. At this time, this is NOT recommended.
Need Technical Help?
*Supporting documents for exemption requests should be submitted to Med+ Proctor by selecting upload a document and then select Supporting Documents under Document Type.
I submitted my exemption request, what's next?
All exemption requests will be reviewed within 5-7 business days (as volume allows).
The response may include:
- Request for additional information.
- Approval for a deferral/postponement of the vaccine requirement for a specified timeframe.
- Approval for an exemption to the vaccine requirement.
- Denial of the request for an exemption to the vaccine requirement and next steps.
- Individuals approved for the deferral or exemption from the vaccine requirement will be required to follow all university protocols for unvaccinated individuals, which may include participating in weekly testing.