To protect students from preventable diseases and outbreaks, GVSU recommends all students be fully immunized prior to attending classes. Immunizations may be required by certain academic programs, work, or volunteer activities.
The list of immunizations provided here follow the recommendations for adult immunizations from the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), as published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and recommendations for college students from the American College Health Association (ACHA). Talk to your health care provider to ensure your immunizations are current prior to arriving on campus.
Recommended Vaccines for College Students
- Influenza (Flu) Every year.
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) Two doses after 12 months of age.
- Meningitis (ACYW) Recommended for all first year students living in residence halls; other students under age 25 may also choose to be vaccinated to reduce risk of disease. Ask your health care provider if a booster is needed. More info about meningitis.
- Meningitis B Recommended for individuals with certain long term health conditions. Ask your health care provider. More info about meningitis.
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis Primary series completed as child, then a Tdap after age 11. Tetanus booster every 10 years after receiving Tdap.
- Varicella (Chicken Pox) 2 doses if you have not had chicken pox disease.
Recommended Vaccines for Adults
- Hepatitis A 2 doses completed in childhood.
- Hepatitis B 3 doses completed in childhood.
- Human Papilloma Virus 3 doses for men and women between ages 11-26.
- Pneumococcal Recommended for individuals at risk for pneumonia. Adults 19-64 with asthma or who smoke. Anyone age 2-64 with certain long term health problems or weakened immune system.
- Polio Primary series completed in childhood.
Where to Obtain
The locations listed below are potential resources for immunizations. The list is not all inclusive, nor is it intended to direct care to any specific provider or location.
- Family Health Care Provider
- Campus Health Center (Trinity Health Medical Group)
- GVSU Family Health Center
- Local Health Departments
- Local Pharmacies