Cyril Lixenberg: 1932 - 2015
"I wish to thank the artist for his generosity and long-standing friendship. Cyril has not only been a donor, but he has shared freely of himself during his numerous visits to our region and also of the hospitality of his Amsterdam home and studio with students, faculty and staff. I also want to recognize the help and warmth of his late wife, Saskia, and of his family members including his daughter, Dana, son, Onno, daughter-in-law, Tamar and young grandson, Jaïr, who have enriched all of our lives."
- Henry Matthews, Director of Galleries and Collections
The Grand Valley community is mourning the death of artist and longtime university supporter Cyril Lixenberg. The artist died January 11 at age 82 in his Amsterdam home with his daughter, Dana, and son, Onno, by his side.
GVSU will be holding a Celebration of Life Event in Memory of Cyril Lixenberg on May 3rd, 2015 at the L. William Seidman Center, Grand Rapids, MI from 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM.
- Grand Valley Mourns Death of Artist (GVNow Article, January 13, 2015)
- Artist Cyril Lixenberg left lasting legacy in West Michigan before his death (MLive Article, January 14, 2015)
- "'Uniting Sun' artist Cyril Lixenberg dies at home in Amsterdam" (Holland Sentinel Article, January 12, 2015)
- Cyril Lixenberg Highlights from the GVSU Collection
- Browse the entire Lixenberg Collection at GVSU
- Cyril Lixenberg Retrospective (video)
- "Cyril Lixenberg: an Artist's Journey" Exhibition (video)
- "United Sun" Project in Holland, MI (MLive Article)
Printed copies of the award-winning exhibition catalog "Cyril Lixenberg: an Artist's Journey" are available for pick-up at the Art Gallery in the Performing Arts Center or may be viewed online.
Photographed by Dana Lixenberg, 2013