Skip to main content

Spring/Summer Financial Aid Information

Are you planning to enroll in courses for Spring/Summer? An important factor in planning for Spring/Summer is to review the amount of federal aid you have utilized during the Fall and Winter semesters as this may limit your eligibility for Spring/Summer aid (including federal student loans). To discuss your unique situation please contact us or stop by our office at 100 Student Services Building.

How do I apply for aid?

If you would like us to review your aid eligibility for the spring/summer please contact us at 616-331-3234 or email us at

What requirements do I need to receive aid?

  • A 2016-2017 FAFSA.
  • Have a completed spring/summer application on file. This application will be available on our website in February 2017.
  • Must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits as an undergraduate and 4.5 credits as a graduate/doctoral student). Full-time enrollment for spring/summer is 12 credits for an undergraduate and 9 credits for graduate/doctoral students.
  • The total credits for all spring/summer sessions will be combined to determine your total credit load.  (For example: if you take 3 credits during the spring session and 3 credits during the summer session, your combined enrollment for the spring/summer term will be 6 credit hours.)
  • Must be meeting Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) criteria.
  • Adjusting your spring/summer enrollment can significantly impact your aid eligibility. Click here for more information.

NOTE: You MUST complete the Spring/Summer Application (available February 2017) in order to receive financial aid for the summer.

What type of aid am I eligible to receive?

How do I accept my financial aid award?

  • A financial aid award notification will be emailed to all students with aid eligibility. Review your aid amounts for spring/summer and contact our office to cancel or reduce a loan amount.
  • All awards will be based on half-time attendance.
  • Log in to the myBanner system to accept your aid electronically. If you need specific instructions regarding the process, please click here.

If I have accepted more money than the amount of my bill, when will I receive the excess?

  • Starting the second week of classes, our office reviews your enrollment status. Adjustments may be made to your award based on your enrollment. If you are not enrolled at least half-time, your award will be canceled.
  • If you are enrolled in first six week courses, refunds are processed during the second week of the spring session. You will know if an excess loan amount is coming to you if you see "Student Refund" on your eBill. Students enrolled in only second six week courses will receive excess loan funds during the second week of the summer session.

NOTE: Please visit the Student Accounts website for payment due dates, deferment options, and to set up direct deposit.