BIO 651: Emerging Issues in Water Resources
Academic Awards and Honors (select)
- Fellow, Society of Freshwater Science, 2021.
- Award of Excellence for 2017, National Garden Clubs, Inc. 2017.
- Keiser Distinguished Lecturer in Life Sciences, Ohio Northern University, 2016.
- Patricia B. Johnson Award for Leadership and Innovative Grantmaking, Community Foundation for Muskegon County, 2016.
- Paul Harris Fellow, Rotary Foundation of Rotary International, 2011.
- Massapequa (NY) High School Hall of Fame, 2009.
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, Journal of Environmental Quality (JEQ), 2007.
- Environmental Excellence Award, Muskegon Area Environmental Coordinating Council, 2005.
- Joan Hodges Queneau Palladium Medal (as part of the Restudy Team) for restoration of the Everglades, National Audubon Society, 2000.
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers 1999 Outstanding Planning Achievement Award: in recognition of the Restudy team's contributions to advancing the state of the art in the practice of water resources planning.
- Research Award for Foreign Specialists: To present research on long-term ecosystem research as guest of the National Institute of Agro-Environmental Sciences (NIAES), Tsukuba, Japan, 3/97.
- Best Student Paper: Northeast Algal Symposium. Woods Hole, MA. 1983.
- Phi Beta Kappa: University of Vermont. 1979.
- Muskegon Lake Long-Term Monitoring
- Project Clarity: Restoring the Macatawa Watershed
- Church Lake Microplastic Biofilms
- Bear Lake Watershed Assessment
- Mona Lake Celery Flats Reconnection Monitoring
- Little Black Lake Environmental Assessment
- Groundwater in Crisis? Addressing Groundwater Challenges in Michigan as a template for the Great Lakes
- Even in water-rich Michigan, no guarantee of enough for all, an article by John Flesher, Associated Press
- Great Lakes water levels are 2 feet lower than records set in 2020, a news report by FOX17, West Michigan
- A Grand Rapids lake and the consequences of Michigan’s road salt addiction, an article by Kelly House, Bridge Magazine
- Lake Michigan faces effects of climate change and coastal erosion, a news report by Ginger Zee, Good Morning America
- Microplastics: Separating Fact from Hype, a webinar for GVSU's Grand Forum
- Will the Recovery be Sustainable Business?, a COVID-19 webinar hosted by the West Michigan Sustainable Business Forum
- GVSU researchers investigate biological, chemical effects of microplastics, an article and video clip by Nate Hoekstra, GVSU
- With Embrace of the Waterfront, a New Era Comes to Muskegon, an article by Anna Gustafson, Rapid Growth Media
- WGVU-TV Newsmakers interview with Patrick Center on invasive species
- Michigan Blue Economy, an interview on WGVU's West Michigan Week
- Higher Water Levels in the Great Lakes, an interview on Stateside with Cynthia Canty, Michigan Radio (NPR)
- Muskegon Lake AOC Restoration - Recent Progress, presented at the 2014 Healing Our Waters conference (Al's presentation begins at 19:30)
- Toxic Algae, Water, and Climate Change, an interview by Peter Sinclair of Climate Denial Crock of the Week
- Michigan's Blue Economy, an interview on WGVU's West Michigan Week
- Are the Great Lakes Drying Up?, an interview on Here & Now, WBUR Boston (NPR)
- Blue Water Economy, presented at TEDx Muskegon
- Appearances on The WGVU Morning Show with Shelley Irwin:
- September 9, 2022
- July 8, 2022
- May 13, 2022
- March 11, 2022
- November 12, 2021
- September 10, 2021
- July 9, 2021
- May 7, 2021
- March 12, 2021
- January 8, 2021
- September 18, 2020
- August 7, 2020
- May 8, 2020
- March 13, 2020
- January 10, 2020
- November 8, 2019
- September 13, 2019
- July 12, 2019
- May 10, 2019
- March 13, 2019
- September 14, 2018
- July 13, 2018
- May 11, 2018
- March 9, 2018
- January 12, 2018
- November 10, 2017
- September 29, 2017
- July 14, 2017
- May 12, 2017
- January 12, 2017
- November 11, 2016
- September 9, 2016
- July 8, 2016
- May 13, 2016
- March 11, 2016
- January 8, 2016
- November 17, 2015
- September 30, 2015
U.S. House of Representatives. Subcommittee of the Interior. Invasive species and the Great Lakes. Washington, D.C. December 2015.
U.S. Congressional Briefing: Using Geoscience Research to Accelerate Innovation and the Coastal Economy. Ecosystem Restoration in the Great Lakes Yields Significant Return on Investment. Washington, DC. November 2015.
Post-Doctoral Fellowship, 1987-92, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN
Ph.D., Botany/Aquatic Ecology, 1987, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
M.S., Botany, 1983, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI
B.S., Botany, 1979, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT