The Peer Mentoring Program is a yearlong program. Each mentor will be assigned to help first-year students of the program in exploring and succeeding in the fields of STEM and Health Sciences. The peer mentor is a student staff member who provides leadership for participants in the TRIO Classic and the TRIO STEM-Health Sciences Program. Mentors assist in achieving the program goal of supporting first-generation and low-income students who are pursuing degrees in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and health science. In addition, the program’s primary goal is graduating all students who participate in the program. .
First-year students will be assigned a Peer Mentor.
How Your Peer Mentor can help YOU!
- Assistance with campus resources (e.g., they know where tutoring is available, etc.)
- Advising help (scheduling classes)
- Academic planning
- Goal Setting
- Navigating Blackboard
- Study Groups
- Faculty Interaction
- Social and educational programming
- Getting acclimated with classes and the city
- Someone to listen when you need an ear
- Is an upper-class student who has experienced what you are, or might in the future, and can give you perspective
Interested in having a peer mentor? If you are not a first-year student and would like a mentor
2021-2022 Peer Mentors
Jordan (she/her) is a third year clinical exercise science major at GVSU and hopes to continue her degree at Grand Valley or the University of Pittsburgh in the physical therapy program. She's originally from Holland, about 30 minutes away, and loves to spend time with her friends and girlfriend. This is Jordan's first year working as a peer mentor for TRIO STEM, but has been a part of the program since freshman year.
Keagan (She/her) is in her third year at Grand Valley State University. She is majoring in clinical exercise science, her plans after graduation are to apply for physical therapy school. This is her first year working for TRIO-STEM, but her third year being in TRIO-STEM She really enjoys going to the beach, watching sunsets, and hanging out with her family in her free time.
Do you want to be a become a Peer Mentor?
- Must be at least Junior Standing (55 cr)
- Have been a participant in TRIO-STEM a year or longer
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.6 or higher
Apply Today: New dates for 2023 not available at this time
Mandatory Peer Mentor Training: