Policies & FAQs
Payment & Registration (RECENTLY UPDATED):
- Payment is due upon registration. If a participant registers for a course and has not paid the registration fee, we will send a reminder email to pay the fee. If there is no response and the fee has not been paid within 7 days, the participant will be dropped from the course and may re-register and pay if space is available.
- This is a recent change in our policies to ensure equitable access to courses that have high demand and long waitlists.
- Registration Deadline: Three days prior to the program by 5pm.
- Waitlist Policy: Our social work programs, excluding the DHHS programs, may fill up due to interest in the content. If the course becomes full, we will have a limited wait list. Those who get on a wait list for a course, you will be notified as soon as possible if a seat becomes available and payment must be made upon enrollment. When the typical registration period ends two days prior to the begin date, all those on the list will be notified we can no longer accept people into the class.
- Participants may cancel their registration at any time by calling our office at 616-331-7180 or emailing [email protected]. Participants seeking a refund must cancel their registration at least 48 hours prior to the program. You may either receive a full refund back on your card, or we can place a credit on your account for a future program. Refund requests received within 48 hours of the program are not eligible for a refund. If GVSU needs to cancel the event, participants will receive a full refund.
Social Work Continuing Education Credits:
- Participants seeking Social Work Continuing Education credits will need to arrive by the start time of the program, and must stay until the end. Partial credit will not be awarded.
- Participants must complete the post-event evaluation to receive SWCE credit.
- Certificates will be emailed to participants 1-2 business days after the program. Participants who have not received their certificate (and it is not in their spam/junk folder) should email [email protected].
- Grand Valley State University School of Social Work, an accredited social work education program, is authorized by Administrative Rule 338.2965 to award Michigan social work continuing education contact hours.
Live-Virtual (via Zoom) Program Policies
- Participants will receive a link to access the program 1-2 days prior to the scheduled date.
- All participants must be logged into the Zoom room by the start time of the program and stay until the end. The Zoom room will open at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled start time, and we recommend that participants log in 10-15 minutes early so we can verify their identity, complete attendance, and test audio/video. The program will begin promptly at the start time listed on the registration page.
- We ask that the device participants use to access the course have audio & video capabilities. This includes speakers/headphones, microphone, and a camera.
- We encourage participants to keep their camera on and microphone muted (unless speaking or asking a question). It is helpful for our instructors to see faces while presenting.
- Participants must have their first and last name as their Zoom screen name for verification purposes. The facilitator will help participants get this changed once everyone is in the Zoom room, if necessary.
- This will be an interactive presentation and any questions that come up will be addressed by the presenter as appropriate, via the Chat function, unmuting and speaking, or anonymous submissions to the facilitator.
- If any participant is unresponsive to the presenter or the facilitator (camera off, microphone muted, and not responding to any messages directed to them in the chat), we will assume they are not present, and the participant will not receive continuing education credits.
- Technical Requirements:
- To have the best experience with our virtual programming, we recommend that you review the Zoom System Requirements. For technical or connection questions, please call our IT Help Desk at 616-331-2101. Refunds will not be made available for technical issues originating on the user’s end. If there are technical issues originating from GVSU, every attempt will be made to reschedule the program, and a full refund for all paying registrants will be made if they cannot attend the rescheduled time.
Helpful Licensure Links & Information
What social workers need to know about the IMPLICIT BIAS requirement - ***Please note that paragraph 2, sentence 3, does NOT apply to Social Work professionals. Human Trafficking training is required every time you renew your license. Implicit Bias is currently only required as an initial training, not every renewal cycle. If your license expires before June 22, 2022, you will not need to meet the Implicit Bias requirement just yet. If you renew on or after June 22, 2022, you will need a minimum of 1 hour for each year of your license cycle. Example: License expiration in 2023 = 1 hour, 2024 = 2 hours, 2025 = 3 hours. Those who have recently become licensed will need at least 2 hours within the 5 years immediately preceding issuance of the license.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is your cancellation policy?
- When do I need to pay for the program?
- Where do I park?
- How early should I arrive to the program?
- Do I need to bring anything with me?
- Will I get a certificate of attendance for this program?
- What temperature will the room be?
- What if I need special accommodations?
- Why are programs different prices?
- Do you provide food/beverages at your in-person programs?
- Are programs offered through Grand Valley "approved" for social work continuing education?
- Where can I find other approved social work continuing education classes in Michigan?
- Why do you need my social work license number?
- How do I find my social work license number?
- How do I know when my license expires?
- Are class materials going to be made available for me to download?
- I am planning a program or conference and would like to offer Continuing Education Credits. Who should I contact?
- What is your inclement weather policy?
- I'm interested in one of your virtual programs, but I'm not familiar with Blackboard or Zoom. Can you help me?
- Will I need to wear a mask if I am attending an in-person program?
Should your plans change, you may transfer your registration to another person at any time. You may also choose to keep your registration fee in "escrow" to be used toward a different program in the future. Cancellations must be received by the Center for Adult & Continuing Studies at least 48 hours prior to program start time. Cancellations received before the deadline are eligible to receive a full refund. Cancellations received after the deadline and/or no-shows are not eligible for refunds. If you have questions, please call our office at (616) 331-7180 or email [email protected]
Payment is due upon enrollment both when registering online and over the phone. Participants are not officially registered for the program until payment is received by the Center for Adult & Continuing Studies.
Parking depends on the location of the program. Parking permits and instructions on where to park will be provided 2 days prior to the program. See the map and or directions located under our locations webpage. If you are registered for a program and have not received your parking information 2 days prior to the event, please call our office at (616) 331-7180 or email [email protected]
The start time listed on the registration page is the time the program will begin. We encourage participants to arrive (or log in, for virtual programs) at least 15 minutes prior so the registration process is not rushed.
Unless otherwise noted in the training description, you will only need to bring something to write with and a pad of paper. You may also bring a laptop or tablet for note taking. Guest internet access is available for free! Ask our GVSU representative when you arrive to the program.
Yes. Social Work Continuing Education Credit Certificates will be emailed after the program, typically within 1-2 business days.
The room temperature is generally cooler than most people are used to. We suggest that you add an extra layer of clothing just in case.
Please contact our office for information regarding special needs accommodations. We will work with you to ensure your needs are met. Office – (616) 331-7180 or email [email protected]
Programs are offered for various prices based on clock hours, grant funding, sponsorships, total expenses, partnerships, and a myriad of other reasons. We try to keep our program prices affordable without sacrificing quality and service.
We provide water and coffee at programs that are part of our regular social work continuing education series. For programs that are longer than 3 hours, we will provide boxed lunches. These typically include a sandwich/wrap, potato chips, cookie, and a bottle of water.
Yes. All social work continuing education programs offered through this office are approved by the School of Social Work at Grand Valley State University for social work continuing education clock hours.
Visit the website for the Michigan Social Work Continuing Education Collaborative at https://www.socialworkcec.com/how-to-view-course-listings
The reason we make this request is to place your license number on the certificates as required by the State Board of Social Work.
Your social work license number is the number under permanent ID on your wallet-sized copy. It is located in the bottom left corner. It usually begins with a #680. If you cannot find it, we’ll be happy to help you locate it during the event.
Social Work certificates are valid for 3 years. Your expiration date should be noted on your license. To look up your expiration date, and additional information regarding your license, you may go to the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs website and provide your name, profession, and/or license number.
Program materials will be sent to the participants of the program either just before, or immediately following each program (depending on the presenter's request).
GVSU can only provide continuing education credits if there is a Grand Valley State University faculty member involved in the planning and/or development of the program. If so, contact Lucas Treadwell at (616) 331-7180 or [email protected] for information on how to offer continuing education credits for your participants through a co-sponsorship agreement.
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY: If Grand Valley State University closes due to the weather, the program will also be cancelled/rescheduled, and we will send an email to all program participants. If we are open, but you feel that the weather conditions make it unsafe to attend, we will give you a refund for this program. To check to see if the University is closed, please check our home page. You may also call the university directly to see if we are open: (616) 331-2020.
Absolutely! Our team is more than happy to schedule a time to meet with you via Zoom and walk you through the basic functions, and explain what to expect prior to your program. If you're taking a self-paced Blackboard course, you will receive instructions upon receiving your login information. If you have additional questions, please contact our office at (616) 331-7180 or [email protected]
Please check our most up-to-date Face Coverings policy at https://www.gvsu.edu/lakerstogether/face-covering-policy-27.htm. If face coverings are currently required and we are offering food/beverages during the program, we will make every effort to offer social distancing during those times.