Immunizations & Destination Specific Health Advice

There can be health risks associated with living abroad. While it is impossible to eliminate all such risks, you can take precautions against them. Your orientation packet includes an up-to-date Center for Disease (CDC) report for your host country. Review the information on this report to obtain information on how to stay healthy and to learn about any required or recommended vaccinations.

Important Information

  1. Depending on your destination, immunizations may be required or at least recommended. Visit the website for the Center for Disease Control at to find out whether immunizations are required or recommended.
  2. Several countries require proof of immunizations prior to entering the country.  In the event that you are required to show proof of immunizations, you will need to present the International Certificate of Vaccination, a yellow booklet from the World Health Organization. This booklet contains information on what immunizations you have had and when you received them. It is available from most doctors and county health departments.
  3. If you have questions or are interested in additional information on immunizations, contact your local physician, the nearest county health department, or a doctor specialized in travel medicine.
  4. Please note that vaccines for travel may not be covered by your insurance or health plan and can be expensive.
  5. Most routine vaccinations are available at the GVSU Family Health Center. Most other vaccines are available at the following locations. You will need to call ahead to make an appointment and find out if the vaccines you need are available.


Ottawa County Health Department (Holland)

Travel Clinic

(616) 396-5266


Kent County Health Department (Grand Rapids)

Travel Immunizations

(616) 632-7200


Spectrum Travel Health Services (Ada)

(616) 391-2778